1st Generation VS 2nd Generation

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by harryhood, Feb 13, 2009.

1. harryhood macrumors regular

My little sister wants to buy a new iPod touch. She's been saving up for it for a long time.

I see that apple has refurbished 1st generation iPod touch 16gb for $219. Is there really that big of difference between 2g and 1g? I also really wanted to jailbreak it for her - some people think that the 2g jailbreak might not ever come? There's really no sense in buying old technology to save a few bucks, I'd rather get the new if its way better. But if its just minor differences - who cares?

What should I do!?

2. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

the 2g jailbreak already came so haha. there isnt a big difference besides the speakers and the proccesor is waaaaayyy faster

3. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

yeah but its a complicated one, not like the normal jailbreak..? Don't you have to type in codes and stuff?

4. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

not alot. if you watch a video a monkey could do it. www.youtube.com/user/willdta has a awesome one on it

5. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

i guess its easy, but EVERY time you want to use your ipod, you would have to be near your computer...uh..eh..

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Only major difference is the speaker on the 2G, IMO. There'ssome minor ones as well, but not deal breakers usually. I'm happy with my 1st gen, it works great.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think it depends on what your sister is going to use it for the most. If she likes to play games on it, or watch a lot of youtube videos, then she would appreciate being able to hear sound without having to wear headphones all the time. If she's going to be mostly listening to music (the quality of the speakers isn't good enough for music, so you'd want to use headphones when listening to music even if you have a 2nd gen) or reading stuff on the internet / doing emails, then not having speakers wouldn't matter so much.

8. Gyrferret macrumors regular

Gyrferret

In my opinion, the 2G feels a lot...... dingier than the 1G. However, only watching YouTube videos really eventuates the need for the external speaker. Plus, "Made for iPod" accessories don't always work on the 2G (deal breaker for me, as I need to use an FM adapted for my iPod). However, that might not matter. As for the faster processor.... umm... I dunno if that really matters at all. It's like having Gatling Gun to kill a slug; no matter what you use, the jobs gonna get done.

9. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

you dont have to be near your computer haha

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You have to be near you computer to restart it if something goes wrong, like an app freezes up your ipod. If I had a tethered jailbreak, I'd be afraid to go too far from my computer!

11. Stuart in Oz macrumors 6502

On the other hand, I have a 1st gen and three days ago I hit my first app that stated 'not suitable for 1st gen iPod Touch - 2nd gen required'. :mad:

Reports around the web are that the 2nd Gen has way more processor power. Which means almost certainly newer apps will, over time, require that level of power to run. I may well have struck an early example of that.

Sadly, it's probably inevitable. I'd advise her to go for the 2nd gen - she'll get a lot longer life and a more future-proof device.

12. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I think the 2nd generation is supposed to have considerably longer battery life, especially when listening to audio.

13. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Doesn't necessarily mean it's due to the processor; it could be an app that requires a microphone, and the 2G is currently the only iPod touch that a mic can be used with.

The main differences:

- The 1G has a flat backplate, the one on the 2G tapers out and becomes thinner at the edges like with the iPhone 3G.
    - 2G has a redesigned Wi Fi receiver cover - it's a rectangle in a corner of the 1G, but on the 2G it's more curved and moved closer to the centre of the backplate.
    - The 2G is slightly (0.5mm) thicker than the 1G.
    - 2G has a speaker.
    - 2G has external volume controls.
    - 2G is not FireWire compatible while the 1G is (that's not important unless you have any old iPod accessories that use FireWire that you want to use with the 2G)
    - 2G has longer battery life.
    - 2G has a better-looking screen (the 1G seems more washed out in comparison)
    - 2G has Nike+iPod support.

If you go back out into the iPod touch board, find the "iPod touch tips and features" topic that's stickied at the top by yours truly, there's a huge list of the differences towards the bottom of my first post.

14. v8ko macrumors newbie

My business partner received a 2G ipod the other day and asked if I wanted to trade my 1G for it becuase hes not really into ipods. Honestly my answer was quick....thanks but no thanks. I actually like the 1G being a little thicker and cant really see much difference in screen clarity and if there is any difference I think the 1G is slightly better.

The 2G is faster but I think I can handle the extra half second when something big is loading. The volume rocker and external speaker would be really cool to have imo.

But the deciding factor was my fm transmitter wouldnt work with it and I dont feel like shelling out another 80+bucks on a new one.

I did think it was pretty cool of him to want to swap with me!!!

15. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Read my above post and also look on Apple's website - the 2G is actually slightly thicker than the 1G; you have the thinner of the two iPods :)

16. v8ko macrumors newbie

Yeah I saw that. I guess the tapered sides make it feel thinner.