Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PRedLSU

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2009
I was just given a 16gb iPod Touch (1st generation) that has been used maybe three times. I understand that you can load the new 2nd generation software onto this, right?

If I do that, will I still be able to jailbreak it if I ever wanted to?

Or if I jailbreak it as a 1st generation can I then upload the 2g software later?

Also, if I don't really care about an external speaker and volume controls, or ergonomic curvature of the back, will I really care about having a 1g instead of a 2g?

Thanks!

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
If the ipod was purchased before 2.0 software came out, you will have to purchase this software. However, keep in mind that 3.0 software is coming out in June and you will also have to pay for this upgrade as well. I would assume you could go straight from 1.0 to 3.0 and save $10, but I'm not sure.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You can probably go straight from 1.x.x to 3.x.x; assuming it's the same as going from 1.x.x to 2.x.x and skipping the 1.1.4 update.

Remember you are only upgrade the software; you're not going to magically get new hardware features.

PRedLSU

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2009
So if I get a first generation iPod and update it to the 3.x.x. software I can still jailbreak it with the 1g jailbreaking program?

jmann

macrumors 604
So if I get a first generation iPod and update it to the 3.x.x. software I can still jailbreak it with the 1g jailbreaking program?

No the jailbreak has not been released for the 3.0 OS, but it is jailbreakable. The iPod touch will always be jailbreakable unless they change the hardware (like the did with the 2nd gen), so all you have to do is wait until these people release the official jailbreak after the 3.0 OS is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.