1st Impression

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bruceabbott, Apr 28, 2015.

1. bruceabbott macrumors member

Got my 42mm SG Sport today. (5/13/-27 shipping window :p)

Just a few impressions.

- Feels great on the wrist. Much more comfortable than my OG Pebble.
    - Definitely a 1.0 device with a ton of potential. Can't wait for native apps.
    - Apps don't load as slow as some sites have claimed. Fetching the data only takes a few seconds. Minor inconvenience.
    - Space Gray looks awesome.
    - Speakerphone volume could be louder. Hopefully a software fix?
    - The novelty is wearing off real quick. I'm super happy with the watch but there's only so much of a break in period before you start using it the way it was intended ;). As a timepiece that's great at telling time and keeping you informed albeit in moments.
    -Battery life is definitely respectable. Been going since 2:45pm CST on 80% charge. It's 8:37 and I'm at 52% after playing with it non stop.
    -Taptic feedback feels more natural than a standard vibration motor.

That's all for now. Overall, an outstandingly well built device. It feels worth the premium over the cheaper android wear devices. We wouldn't expect any different from Apple and they delivered here.

2. Bo31210 macrumors member

Agree with all you said The Fitness portion to me is worth the price alone

3. bruceabbott thread starter macrumors member

I haven't got a chance to try it but it does look promising. One thing I want is the ability for apps like runkeeper to recognize the HRM.

4. Dennison macrumors regular

Dennison

What?! I'm in the same window for the same exact config. How'd you get yours?! I'm still at "Processing Items."

I'd like to give :apple: somethin' to process. ;)

5. rosario1990 macrumors regular

Wish good luck for your new watch.

6. bruceabbott thread starter macrumors member

I ordered at xx:05. Got my email sunday, shipped monday, here today. Yours won't be long.

7. danzio macrumors newbie

Also agree with all the points except the speaker, I found that I had to turn it down a touch as it was quite loud on my 42mm Watch.

One thing that I noticed is that as the novelty wore out it became much more natural to use it, I would look at my watch vs. my phone and even took a few phone calls from the watch as it was just much more natural feeling.

8. Dennison macrumors regular

Dennison

Awesome to hear. :D Congratulations on your new watch. I'm starting to get really excited for mine since I know it's coming closer. My try-on experience at the :apple: Store was amazing. I hate watches but I had intuition that this would be something special. Unfortunately my confirmation email came through at 3:11am, but I don't think that means anything different if my window is still May 13th-27th.

9. Bo31210 macrumors member

My understanding is it wont (but what do I know) on the initial release. Sooner or later I would think it will though. Very interested in Strava doing this

10. danzio macrumors newbie

Honestly it can change at any time! I had late may to June 1st on my SG 42mm and it shipped out yesterday, one of these days you'll probably get a "Shipped" email from Apple! Have faith!

11. bruceabbott thread starter macrumors member

I wasn't a watch guy until the Pebble. I had sport watches growing up in the 90s but that was it. I'm a technology whore and I think Apple will do for wearables what they did for the phone. Maybe not asrevolutionary but it's a great start! Technology is getting smaller and smaller every year. Wearables are the future.

12. Evakami, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

Evakami macrumors newbie

Taken from my IG (please don't respond to my AMA here)
    Battery life at 8:03 am: 100%
    Battery life at 10:11 pm: 19%

Thus concludes my first 24 hours with #applewatch ⌚️.
    The picture I provided is so that you can get a grasp on the battery life, featured in the bottom right-hand corner of each half. I will admit that I charged it twice for five minutes in the middle of the day to make sure it lasted through the night, and most of my morning was spent doing some set up/learning how to use it efficiently. (I had a major issue with texts which was fixed by resetting both my phone and watch simultaneously.) That being said, I have full faith in the battery life from here on out, which I know was one of the biggest complaints before release.

If I had to sum it up in one sentence?: You're more connected than ever, but less distracted.

And that is why I bought an Apple Watch. If you're one of the people (the verge) who feels like you're being made aware of how many people you're ignoring at once, that's a personal issue and you need to fool around with the settings to make it work for you, as with any technological device.

Luckily, I knew a lot going into it thanks to all the reviews and videos I watched before I purchased it, but I also learned a lot while using it that I didn't learn online, so if you have any questions let me know.

I was ready to hate or love this thing, and I know it's really easy to tell somebody that after they spend so much money on something it's hard to hate it; but I really feel that this is going to alter my life, but it isn't life-changing. I recommend you all wait 'til v2(or some software updates) and buy an Apple Watch.

#42mmssbsb #42ssbsb

13. joefrank64k macrumors regular

Just got my SG, BSB, 42, 12:04, shipped to Los Angeles, Apple Watch today, and like others have posted here, the novelty is wearing off but the utility is not!

I'm digging the fitness functions, the quick replies to texts, not having to dig my iPhone 6+ out of my pocket to check the time (I haven't worn a watch since the original iPhone) or the weather. Build quality is great, feels great on the wrist, and I can't wait to see where this thing goes. :D

To those that have their watches, enjoy!
    To those still waiting, I feel your pain and will try my best to implore the shipping gods to smile upon you! :)

14. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I got my Apple Watch (A space Grey Sport 42mm) back on Friday, which was also launch day. As you can imagine I was and still am extremely excited about it. I have done some heavy testing on it as well as used it heavily over these past few days.

The watch faces. There are tons of them. And most are customizable quite a bit! And of course these were watch faces I have been looking at sense last September, when the watch was announced but sense I had no idea which watch face I liked I decided to just wait for the watch and choose then. I was changing the watch face about every five minutes. It took me about 3-4 hours to really feel like I had found my watch face. The name of the face is "Utility". This face allows for three complications, which I found to be perfect for what I wanted. It also. But before we get to the complications lets talk about the watch face. I liked this watch face because it was clean and simple. Just a traditional clock and nothing else. Now that can be changed for this watch face with customization's. You can take way the hour numbers or add minute numbers ect. But this is the how I thought it looked best. I also have it showing the date which I like. The complications are what really make watch faces more helpful then time telling time though. The three I am using are battery, activity, and weather. When tapping on one of these it takes you to the corresponding app (excluding battery as it does not have an app). The weather complication which I have at the bottom of the watch face is great. I always know what the weather is going to be like with that down there. My favorite complication is the activity one though. It really keeps you motivated to do some activity which I have been doing much more of. So seeing my activity rings right from the watch face is great.

[​IMG]

Notifications on Apple Watch are fantastic. It basically just takes all the notifications you get and puts it in the place most convenient at a given time. For example, if I get a text and I'm using my phone the text comes to my phone but never hits my watch. If I'm not using my phone or iPad the notification goes to the watch, as well as show up on the phone if I want to act on it there. Also haptic's from the Taptic engine feel great! They feel nothing like a vibrate at all. It's legit like the watch is just tapping on you. Very subtle but still noticeable.

I have also found glances on Apple Watch to be extremely nice to have. Like the other day I was trying to pay attention to the Islanders vs. Capitals play off game. I wasn't home so I couldn't watch the game, but lifting my wrists and just a simple swipe up was all that was required for me to stay on top of the game thanks too the ESPN Glance. There are also many others such as weather, activity, heart rate, world clock, now playing and more.

Third party apps. There's not to much to say about third party apps because they aren't many I can find that look worthy of downloading. But that's alright the watch did launch three days ago. I think once the developers get their hands on the watches we'll really see some more actually helpful/cool third party apps. That being said some of the current third party apps are awesome... As well as some suck really bad. The three third party apps I think are really cool and actually worth my time are the ESPN app, Trivia Crack, and USA Today.

The workout app is probably my favorite part of Apple Watch. It is just fantastic. I have used it for outdoor cycling 3 times now and I just love everything about. I love being able to track my workout and see things such as my pulse, calories burned, distance, and speed! I also just love the animations in the workout app. As I swipe from one thing to another there is a really nice and clean animation. For example If I'm on distance and I swipe right to see the next one over it says "Speed" I large letters then is just shrinks away as the number comes up. I just really love that animation.

These are my first impressions of the Apple Watch! Over all I think its a really amazing device and definitely worth the $400 I paid for it.

I posted this in a similar thread but it works here too :)

15. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

Just received my 42 SS Milanese.

Out of the box set up was very easy. I've had Apple products for years and this was intuitive enough, especially if you just went down the line through the iPhone watch app. Maybe took some extra time setting up the different interfaces on the watch itself.

Came with 80% charge. set up took it down to 73%. Charging now is almost complete after 1 1/2 hours (but I have been playing also)

Finish and quality of fit is what, I feel, it should be for the price. I have no complaint at this time. My expectations have been met at this point.

Tomorrow begins a full fledged test. I don't think I'll be disappointed. I knew what the limitations ( if any) were going in. I only think it can get better.