1st ios4 app released

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jongewehr, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

hey guys went to the app store a little bit ago, an the Fandago app had a update "optimized for iso4" haven't seen any others before this.

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Yep got it. The only thing I notice is that when you go back to the app it's where you left off BUT it's not instant, the app still seems to load back into memory then dump you back where you were, not really a snap shot. Not sure if that's gonna be the norm. I hope not.

3. monksealpup macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure Fandango didn't need any type of background processing/multitasking capabilities, hence it not popping up immediately and restoring its state.

Had they built that in, I'm sure people would be pissed off it was taking up memory in the background needlessly. Just chill, background apps will come soon enough.

4. jhkaplan macrumors regular

Downloaded this just to try it out. If this is what multitasking will be for apps that don't require a background process, I am not impressed. If I need to leave an app to respond to a text message (stupid anyway. This needs to be built in), when I go back to that app, I'd like it to open instantly. It should save the exact state the app was in when left, making for a quick open without any loading. I'll reserve full judgement on how this will work until more apps get updated and devs start implementing more multitasking functions.

With that being said...I don't really like the way Apple has implemented MT on iOS 4 so far.
    1. There should be a way to indicate that you want the app saved in the background/multitasking group. When you hit the home button to close an app, it automatically gets added into your multitasking list. This can get quite annoying if you dont need it to be saved in the background. How about a long home button hold to close the app AND save it in the background?
    2. Only 4 visible multitasking apps in the drawer, with all the others visible when you scroll? That's pretty annoying. I'm used to the Backgrounder & Kirikae combo, and being able to see ALL of your open apps at once is a huge benefit.

Again, I'll withhold full judgement until the apps/multitasking procedure is a bit more mature. For now though, I'm not too impressed.

5. tesilential macrumors regular

This scares me. I just preordered 2 Iphones, and to think that my 4 year old LG dumbphone has essentially better multitasking than the current iphones is nerve racking.

6. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

I fear this is how the multitasking is going to be! :(

Ppl are gonna whine but still going to hold that iPhone to their chest!

7. mxpx5678 macrumors member

Not impressed

It doesn't seem to be doing actual multi tasking. I think they might have just updated it to work correctly with os4.

8. Mosco macrumors regular

9. jhkaplan macrumors regular

Good article. Thanks Monks. I am actually starting to see this implemented, so maybe my initial reactions were a bit rushed. I just downloaded the Dropbox iOS 4 update and it works as it should. Switching back to the app is nearly instantaneous with no loading. Seems as if the Dropbox team configured it to save state in the background and the Fandango team didn't.

10. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

I wonder if apple will release the Jenga-style block game Steve played with... That would be cool. :rolleyes: