1st iPad purchase. 16GB or 32GB?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dcwebman, Mar 8, 2012.

1. dcwebman macrumors newbie

I've had an iPhone for 3 years and the last one I went for the 32GB 4S since I was almost to the max for 16GB. But most of that is apps that I still need to go through and determine if I want to use since I get them when they go free or cheap. Don't have video and little music on the phone.

I'm trying to determine for my first iPad, is 16GB enough or do I need to go for the 32GB? I'm not sure if apps from the iPhone will be ported over to the iPad and if that's the case I need to go for the 32GB or start deleting apps from the phone. Again, I probably won't put much music or video on the iPad.

So do I go for 16GB or 32GB?

2. snow blind macrumors regular

32GB of APPS!? That's a lot.

I personally refuse to use any scaled apps from the iPhone on my iPads... They look horrid. Any universal ones I normally throw on the iPad depending on use. If you keep most of your media on your home server you could be fine with the 16GB... if not... get the 32GB.

3. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Some current ipad apps are 1GB each so when they go HD it would not be surprising for them to be >2GB. I would go 32GB...

4. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

If you don't store movies and music on the device, 16GB *should* be fine. But if you do start putting movies on there, you'll definitely want 32GB, HD movies are huge.

5. UFGatorMel macrumors member

I preordered my first iPad last night and decided to go with the 32GB because of photos and movies. I have a 32GB iPhone and it seems like a good amount of space.

6. dcwebman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast replies! I have about 14GB of apps right now but like I said most of those could probably be deleted once I get the time to go through them and find I won't use them. I forgot about photos since I don't have many on the phone but could imagine having more on the iPad. Especially for those times I'm on the road and want to transfer my digital camera photos to the iPad. Yup, looks like 32GB is best to be safe. Thanks!

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

32. It's only $100 more and once you've bought there's no way to upgrade w/o rebuying. You should have no problem filling up a 32GB.

I've had two 32s (original and 2) w/ only apps and books and one "emergency" movie on it and got it up to 24GB. With the better video and still cam now plus creation type apps like iPhoto and Photoshop coming on line now I see 32GB being even more necessary.

8. jalpert macrumors 6502

The 32GB is a bad value. You are spending $100 for 16GB to go from 16GB to 32GB. For $100 more than that, the upgrade has twice as much value. It's only $100 for 32GB to go from 32GB to 64GB.

9. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

16GB on the iPad is a joke. You should only consider 32GB as the minimum.

10. jojoba macrumors 68000

My iPad2 is a 16GB and I have about half of my storage space left. I've installed quite a few apps and keep my whole research library on there, but not music and only a few of my photos. So it really depends on your usage. I'm not worried about running out for a good while. Having said that, if I were to buy a new one today, I'd probably do 32GB 'just in case'.

11. str8bucs macrumors regular

12. Ecoh, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

It's nice to have a little extra space, just in case you might need to put a few videos on it or add more photos when traveling.

You can still keep all your apps on the iPhone and just selectively add them to your iPad as you need them. You just have to manage the apps sync page in iTunes.

13. dcwebman thread starter macrumors newbie

This is good to know. The only thing is I can't stand iTunes. :(

14. ElCidRo macrumors regular

Actually if you stay and think about it, the 32GB is the iPad LEAST worth the price.
    Either the 16GB or 64GB, are the best choices.

If you pay $100 more you get 16GB extra (the 32GB iPad), that's $6.25 per extra GB
    If you pay $200 more you get 48GB extra (the 64GB iPad), that's $4.1(6) per extra GB

So the best buy is either the 16GB or the 64GB. :)
    I will go for the 64GB edition.

15. citivolus macrumors 6502a

16GB has been fine for me with my iPad 1, especially with my 32GB iPhone. I keep most videos on my iPhone and use the iPad for apps and books. I still have about 8GB free. It's all about your usage. As for photos, I still don't understand who'd want to hold up the iPad to take pictures or shoot video. I was at a show last night and a guy was holding up his iPad to record his kid performing, blocking the view of others behind them. Pretty annoying and he looked like a moron. BTW I just upgraded to the 16GB Wifi version.

16. Nightprowler macrumors regular

That's the way I always look at it too, but then if you don't actually use any of those extra 32GB then its a waste of $100.

Hard to say for someone who doesn't really know their usage patterns or unknown App size for the new resolution.

17. timotay89 macrumors regular

I had a similar dilemma when I went to order mine yesterday afternoon.

Ultimately, I just got the 64GB one just to be sure.

18. Motliest Crue macrumors regular

I have the 16GB iPad2 - I do not store movies or songs on it. Using it for the web, Netflix instant, internet radio, games, and email I have about 7GB of free space.

19. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Ordered 32, upgrading from iPad 1 64. 32 is the sweet spot for space and money.

20. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I agree.

21. ecib macrumors regular

ecib

Here is a pretty good write-up from the developer of the app Instapaper on exactly that topic:

http://www.marco.org/2012/03/07/which-ipad-3-should-i-get

Hope that helps.

22. RenoG macrumors 65816

I understand the whole value to gig thing, but I too agree that 32g is the sweet spot. I mean 16 is iffy and 64g is way overkill for my usage.

23. mszpara macrumors regular

I pre-ordered my first iPad yesterday, and I opted for the 32gb.
    I do quite a bit of music listening, but since Spotify came out i've been able to keep my iPhone clean of music.

so for me... Spotify+iCloud = no need for 64gb.

I went with 32 over 16 just because of the retina display, making apps (probably) bigger in size etc etc. I didn't want to kick myself later for getting a 16gb and running out of space.

24. ElCidRo macrumors regular

Thats exactly why its the most expensive one, because its the sweet spot

25. RenoG macrumors 65816

Ah-ha!! well that explains some Craigslist ads I saw...