1st Mac mini project.. Couple of questions

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Coupedummy, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Coupedummy macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have been wanting to purchase a mac for some time but could never justify the cost.
    After doing lots of reading and scouting I have picked up a Mac mini 1.1 core solo for £90

The aim is - install
    Core 2 duo T7200- from ebay £9 delivered
    4 gb ram.. Spares I have
    500gb sshd - spare I have
    Paired to a 24" led hp screen.

So osx is the stumble slightly. I believe I can run mavericks as it will have enough memory and a 64bit CPU and Yosemite hopefully? Is there anything extra I have to do to install mavericks as such? Looking forward to converting to mac in the near future..

Any help appreciated.

Regards reuben

2. blanka macrumors 68000

Just buy OSX 10.6 server from Apple (16£ or so). You can upgrade it if you like from the appstore to Mavericks, but try snow first. I run everything on snow. Works fast and stable.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Why Server? You can still buy the non-server version of 10.6.3 from Apple.
    Regardless of CPU, this old Mini can't run anything later than Lion, and that takes some work to do.

----------

10.6.8 is the last supported OS on this Mini but 10.7.5 can be made to work. There aren't drivers for the graphics in the later operating systems.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Theoretically you can run OSX mavericks if you use Tiamis boot loader, but you will very limited in GPU. The intel 950 GPU was terrible. I have a couple upgraded 1,1s sitting in a cabinet.

5. blanka macrumors 68000

Cause you have a license that allows virtualisation in the future, and it is a free ticket to keep running legacy PPC programs forever. And I believe you can install it naked as well (without server components).

6. tallchris macrumors member

Keep us updated on how you do. I recently just picked up a 1.1 for £65, have picked up T5600 for £6, and 2GB of RAM for £8. Going to see if I can get a 64GB SSD for about £20 to keep everything under £100. Bit nervous about trying to install them all, apparently the WIFI antenna is tricky.

Want to see if I can put Lion on it. Hopefully it'll be able to run 64-bit apps.