1st Mac purchase - help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by khallock, May 31, 2019.

1. khallock macrumors newbie

khallock

I've been wanting a laptop for personal use for awhile now and I've recently started thinking I might want to go with a MacBook Pro. I am used to using a Windows PC. But since the last time I ever touched a mac, I now have had an iPhone for 9 years and an iPad. So i feel like I will be fine with the macOS now. Before I didnt have a clue how to open programs, shut them off, etc...

Anyways, the primary use would be for picture editing (newbie!), picture organization (right now they live on an external drive, my iPhone, iPad), general web surfing, maybe writing resumes or something simple like that. Maybe for music or downloading a movie and watching it + Backing up my iphone and/or ipad. Primarily I would use this at home, but I'd also bring it with me traveling on vacation (once a year).

I know I dont need the absolute best macbook Pro, but at the same time I dont want to regret not upgrading it. I was considering the 13" 2018 version (now that they will fix the keyboards for 4 years). But would it be better to go with the newest 2019 version? Was planning on i5, 8GB Ram, 512GB SSD. They have this configuration for $1749 now at Costco, Amazon, Best Buy. But I could be swayed to upgrade either the Ram to 16GB, or the i5 to an i7. If I bought from Costco, they have a 90-day return policy in case i dont like it (my 1st mac, remember?), and they have a 2 year warranty instead of 1 year. They dont have 16GB or the i7 for the 13".

Another thing I am contemplating is the AppleCare+. $269 is alot and they still charge $$ to fix damage. I have never used Applecare for my iphone or ipad, even though I have purchased it for the phone at least.

So what would you go with if you were me? Budget is a big deal, but I dont want to save $200 today and then regret it down the road. This would be for casual use. I wouldnt be using it heavily all day every day.

thanks!

2. zwt macrumors newbie

If there is no huge difference between 2018 and 2019 release I would go with the 2019 one. The base config should be okay with 512GB SSD. I might get 16GB RAM but 8GB should be fine as well (Apple not offering higher RAM options because they believe the system should run quite good with 8GB as well).

Since both 2018 and 2019 machines are basically one-piece i.e non-repairable so I would get AppleCare definitely. I agree that AppleCare+ most likely won't justify the cost.

3. khallock thread starter macrumors newbie

khallock

well the 2018 version is $1749 and they'll fix your keyboard for 4 years. Or I could get a refurb 2018 for $1649.

The 2019 version has the new keyboard (does it work better?) and they upgraded the processor but its $1999.

4. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

For what you plan to use the Mac a 2018 would work fine. I have a 2018 15" and like the keyboard.

IIRC, Costco requires using a Costco credit card to extend warranties. A cheaper alternative is to buy an all risk policy from an insurance company and list you Mac. The advantage is you can decide on a deductible and they tend to be cheap, plus it covers accidental damage, loss, etc. Some recommend using a different insurance company than homeowners so you don't risk it rising if you file a claim.