Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dropdeadhippie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2014
Never used a mac and just got a MacBook pro 2.4ghz core 2 duo given to me for free. Was told it worked great until the prev owner "wiped" the hard drive. I know PCs so figured this should be an easy fix, I was wrong..

Every time I boot I get an OS X Utilities menu (no matter if I press cmd +r or option+cmd+r). Same menu always comes up. I select Reinstall OS X and connect to wifi. Every time it wants to reinstall mavericks and when it tries to download it I get "this item is temporarily unavailable". I saw some posts about making a bootable usb but I do not have access to any other mac and this one does not boot at all. So what's a new mac user to do?? Thanks for any advice folks!!

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Never used a mac and just got a MacBook pro 2.4ghz core 2 duo given to me for free. Was told it worked great until the prev owner "wiped" the hard drive. I know PCs so figured this should be an easy fix, I was wrong..

Every time I boot I get an OS X Utilities menu (no matter if I press cmd +r or option+cmd+r). Same menu always comes up. I select Reinstall OS X and connect to wifi. Every time it wants to reinstall mavericks and when it tries to download it I get "this item is temporarily unavailable". I saw some posts about making a bootable usb but I do not have access to any other mac and this one does not boot at all. So what's a new mac user to do?? Thanks for any advice folks!!

A MBP that old should come with a set of restore discs. You could try and get a hold of that.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
if there's still a recovery partition then the disk was not fully wiped; the recovery partition is still there. You should erase entire disk (not just the partiton) and do a fresh install. For a fresh install you need an OS install disk/stick.

CarreraGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
You should have the recovery partition to re-install the OS. If you're new to Mac's you can bring it in to an Apple store and explain the situation. I don't think they charge for simple consultation but you may have to make an appointment.

I haven't been on Windows for a while but I *believe* you can download an image of Mavericks, Yosemite, etc. to a USB and boot/install from there. This is assuming you have access to a PC.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You will need access to another Mac, then you can download the Yosemite installer and create the USB media with the createinstallmedia tool (Google). That's the easiest way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.