1st or 2nd gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gazfocus, Dec 10, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I am looking to buy an 8GB iPod Touch and while looking for deals online, I have noticed Argos are still selling 1st Gen ipod Touches for £126 (instead of £164 which the new one costs).

Would I be missing a great deal by going for the 1st gen instead of 2nd gen? What are the differences between the 2?

Thanks

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The 2nd gen has volume controls and a speaker, both of which the 1st gen lacks. The 2nd gen also has a slight advantage in regards to graphics. It also has changed aesthetics; the 1st gen has a very flat back, while the 2nd gen is tapered like the iPhone (it's thicker in the middle and becomes thinner at the edges).

Contrary to what a lot of people will say, the 2nd gen, however, is NOT thinner than the 1st gen; in fact, it's 0.5mm thicker.

I'd get the 2nd gen, it isn't lacking anything from the 1st gen (I've had both and the only thing I like more about the 1st gen is it feels a lot more solid when holding, IMO). Volume controls and speakers aren't massive additions to some people, but they do come in useful.

3. biikman macrumors regular

if you are planning on jailbreaking it, and do not want to wait then at the moment the only choice is the 1G. If this doesn't matter to you, then as Ivan said the 2G would be the better choice, IMO.

4. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

Did the 1st Gen charge through FireWire, and using FireWire docks?

5. cakbar macrumors regular

Yes

To the thread starter. The 2nd Gen also has a faster chip, as an additional consideration.

6. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

^ But then again, the 2nd gen can't Jailbreak :D

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Eh, that didn't really bother me as I've never, ever used FireWire to begin with.

8. acedew macrumors member

Don't underestimate the volume rocker like I did, it may be important to you. I didn't think that was a big deal when I bought my 2G (never had the 1G), but until I was faced with the prospect of changing the volume via the touch interface, I didn't realize how much of a compulsive volume changer I am.

9. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

Personally I don't see much a difference. I have the 1st gen and all it takes it a double click on the home button, then you adjust the volume.

10. descartes macrumors 6502

its considerably easier to adjust volume if the ipod is in your pocket and you dont want to take it out. other than that, I agree with you.

11. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

I'd get the 2nd gen. The volume control is nice but the Mic input is a great feature and the ability to use remote controls on your earbuds. Being able to pause, skip and play previous track without turning on the iPod is just excellent.

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

13. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

What would you use a mic for on the touch, other than Skype over wifi?

14. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

dictation or note/memo making.

15. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Voice memos, interviews, and if I'm sneaky, just to sneak in on conversations. I'd leave my iPod on, tuck it in my lil sony sleeve case with the mic out and place it up high where not many would see it and just let it record the conversations (This is of course in the house, not crazy to leave it alone outside).

16. devburke Guest

Volume buttons are great, and speaker is nice for when you're laying around and you wanna watch YouTube or show a friend a video or something like that. I'd go for the 2G