1st post - Do I need a MBP or MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Diiiiips, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Diiiiips macrumors regular

Ok, I've just joined up here today to ask this question.

Bit of background - I'm currently a Windows user and use my laptop for just surfing the net, downloading movies and music, and sometimes writing the odd document.

So my needs don't justify a MBP at all, I know this. I would go for the MB if the spec wasn't so dated and they had a new one out anytime soon but who actually knows if they will have.

Could I get away with buying an MBA for my needs? I really don't need portability so don't use that as a factor. I think 13" might be out of my budget but 11" 128GB is ok. Obviously I need to check it out in the Apple store and see if 11" is big enough screen.

But otherwise what do people think? Sorry if it's a post people are bored of, I understand.

2. c1phr macrumors 6502

With the exception of the SSD coming standard, what part of the MB is more dated than the MBA?

3. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

I think you shouldn't waste your money on an expensive computer that you don't need. But hey that's me you can throw you money away any way you like it's yours to waste

4. Diiiiips thread starter macrumors regular

Guess I've just wanted a Mac for a while so I've got my heart set on it now.

I think I will just go for the MBP unless a new MB is out in the next couple of weeks. I get 15% off so the price isn't as bad as it could be.

5. adztaylor macrumors 68000

6. Diiiiips thread starter macrumors regular

Adztaylor - why do you say that? For hard drive space?

Right now I only have 110gb I think and use about 80gb of it. I put most of the stuff I download on an external hard drive.

7. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I'd say go ahead and get a Mac. They have excellent resale value ad with your 15% discount you'll actually do just fine if you choose to sell it, even in a couple of years.

Regarding which one to get that really up to you. The MBP is a high performance machine and is very powerful. The Air makes a lot of sacrifices to deliver extreme portability and if you aren't going to take advantage of that there's really no reason to buy one. Well, they do look really cool. So, I'd recommend you get the MBP, its got enough power to easily last you for many years if you only use it lightly as you described above.

/begin the angry MBA owner's rant :)