1st Post from my new MacBook Pro!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CappyAA, Apr 15, 2008.

1. CappyAA macrumors newbie

So last night I got home and my new MBP was shipped, so I spent all night transferring all my files over. I'm new to Mac, but now I'm exploring the wonderful world of OS X :)

I love this thing so far - I'll put up the box unveiling pics tonight when I get home, but here are the specs:

2.5 GHz Processor
    200 GB HD at 7200 rpm
    Upgraded to 4 GB RAM from Crucial
    17" High Res Matte Screen
    Office '08
    Apple Care Protection Plan
    .Mac Subscription

I almost freaked out when I installed the RAM. I have installed RAM in past PCs, but this is my first Mac. So I went on YouTube and followed one of the videos on how to put in RAM. I put in my RAM and turned on the machine and it wouldn't turn on - it just beeped 3 times. I was freaking out, but I guess I just didn't put it in all the way. So I reinstalled the RAM and now it works fine again - which was a huge relief.

Anyways, I started downloading and installing some new programs, but I'm a bit of a newbie with this. Any suggestions for must have applications or widgets I should download?

Thanks!
    Cappy

2. blackstarliner macrumors member

Congrats! I don't have the cajones to mess with such shiny new stuff, glad it worked out for you.

In return for a widget suggestion, can you tell me how long from order to door your mbp took?

Widget suggestion: BBC Radio widget is heaven sent for an expat like myself. No idea if it would suit you thoughbut.

3. kwfl macrumors 6502

get istat menus to monitor your mac performance. it is really nice.

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Don't install too much crap. Just add things as you need them.

Congratulations!

5. Skystar macrumors 6502

Congrats, I think everyone here remembers the day they first got their MBP. Good times! :)

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congratulations!!!

Get used to do and then when you're ready, get Quicksilver from http://blacktree.com/

Also Adium is the IM client to use.

You should get The Unarchiver for all your file compression/decompression (eg, ZIP, RAR, etc)