1st Post - Mac Noob but very PC literate

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TK007b, Oct 16, 2008.

1. TK007b macrumors newbie

Hi Folks,

Have had my Mac Mini for about 2 weeks now and in that time I have messed around wiping the operating system, re-installing it, familiarising myself etc.

Anyhow, by using common sense and some help from Google searches I have managed to build a system which looks pretty good.

As expected, I have a few questions (9 or 10 or so actually) but firstly need to ask the all important one.

How do I save a complete working copy of my HDD to DVD or a DMP file?

I have used a program called Carbon Clone Copier to create a backup of my HDD to a flash drive, but the contents of the flash drive are a few folders (application, Library, system etc) and although my flash drive is bootable, I need to copy it elsewhere so I can re-use my flash drive (can I simple copy those files and folders elsewhere?).

Please can someone advise the best way of transferring the files from my flash drive so that they would be re-usable incase of HDD failure and/or a better method of copying my HDD to an image file.

Many Thanks

TK

ps - Will trying searching for the answers to my other noob questions before posting ;-) but wanted to get this sorted asap.

pps - Loving the MAC looking forward to sharing my experiences with you all.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Welcome!

You have a couple of options...

1) When you took the backup of your hard disk, you could have saved the backup to a sparseimage bundle file (you can do this with SuperDuper, I'm not sure about CCC as I haven't used it). You can then move this sparseimage bundle file to any media of your choice, and SuperDuper it back when you want to use it by reversing the source and destination options

2) Using the Disk Utility (in Applications>Utilities) you can create a disk image file from the contents of your FlashDrive. You can then move the disk image file to wherever you want. Do the same in reverse if you want to restore it

3. TK007b thread starter macrumors newbie