1st post: New to Mac: few quick q's...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TresMon, May 18, 2010.

1. TresMon macrumors newbie

Greetings,
    This looks like a great site, and I hoping there are gracious and generous people here! I have a few easy questions I need quick answers too.

My pc recently died and I ran out and bought a Mac. I have only begun to discover the headache of the transition!

My major jam right now is that I use a Windows Pocket PC and specific program in the field/outdoors. I need to -as cheaply as possible- (for now) get set up to put data/files on my Pocket PC(pda) from the 'net to the pda using my MacBook. It's an older pda, Window's mobile 3, so that might cause a hang up too. ?

I was going to use bootcamp and load the windows XP & license I have from my dead Toshiba's Factory reboot disc, but Apple tech tells me it will not work because it does not have the full "binary files" (?)

So I'm stuck, with no options that cost $ as I put all my pocket monies as well as savings into this shiny white machine sitting before me.

Any & all suggestion or help would be most appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tres

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

VirtualBox is a free Virtual Machine which can load your XP disk and you can have a mini Windows environment inside OSX.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

BootCamp needs at least Windows XP with Service Pack 2. If your Windows disc doesn't have it you might need to do a process called slipstreaming to bundle the SP2 to your Windows CD, need to download the service pack and burn the CD or DVD.
    Search for slipstreaming if that is your case.
    Does the PDA has bluetooth? Have you tried to connect via bluetooh?

+1 for VirtualBox

4. sfh macrumors regular

your best bet is going to be to try and get a OEM copy of xp... if you live close to a frys electronics they will have one (it costs alot less than a retail box version)

or if you are a student or know one you may be able to get a copy from the local university book store.

or check craigslist you usually can find a tweaker who will take $25 for an "old" computer they found ...um their grandma gave to them

the recovery disks like you have often do a check for specific hardware and will not install on other machines.

5. TresMon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone!
    I sincerely appreciate your help. I'm looking into them.
    Now off to read all the help & basics articles...

Tres