1st RAID setup - G-Technology G-raid? On sale!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Drewski, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Drewski macrumors regular

I've been meaning to clean up my assortment JBOD backup system which is working but hardly ideal - basically a bunch of USB 3.0 drives picked up at various times (i.e., promo sales) but I haven't really made it a priority. I just got an email from MacMall about the G-Technology 6TB G-Raid Studio drive ($600 at B&H, $480 on Amazon, although that says "Windows Format" o_O) for $359 with a coupon code.

From the G-Technology site: G-RAID Studio is a high-performance Thunderbolt 2 storage system with hardware RAID. Configurable in RAID 0, RAID 1, or JBOD, G-RAID Studio features Thunderbolt 2 technology for ultimate speed. G-RAID Studio ships with two hot-swappable 7200RPM Enterprise-class hard drives for total capacities up to 12TB, complete in a solid black enclosure.

I did check the FAQ though, and it says NOT hot-swappable.

Still, for $359, this might be a great way to get a T-bolt enclosure - with 6TB "enterprise-class" drives and pass-through connection, unlike the other budget T-bolt enclosures I've seen.

I haven't seen many reviews on it though, just wondering if this item was on the radar here in MR land.

13513110_xxlg_0.jpg 13513110_xxlg_1.jpg 13513110_xxlg_2.jpg

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I have a 4-drive version of this enclosure I bought from OWC and it's excellent. I got mine without drives and populated it with Deskstar NAS drives, but I understand that the above unit will come with Ultrastar drives which are regarded as one of the best in the world.

I wouldn't hesitate buying it, if I was you. You'll love it.

3. Drewski thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I see MacMall also has a 4 drive version with 12 TB of storage included for $1099, but that is a bit outside of the tech budget at the moment.

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

FWIW, these drives go on coupon codes every few weeks or so. IMHO the blowouts are related to the fire sales to make room for the new USB-C interface - one of my hardware reps bugs me every week to buy USB3 and TB2 peripherals. These same Studios were at the same price at MM starting in February, and you can buy dozens more (well, there's a limit of 14...) over at TigerDirect for the same price with a coupon code posted on Slickdeals.

And, they're hot-swappable and formatted for Macs out of the box - it's posted on G-Tech's web page for the products. Cheers!

5. T Coma macrumors regular

T Coma

Thanks for the tip - I dropped the ball on this one and thought I was out of luck on the sale, but ended up finding another deal for the same price.