Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Does anyone take what he says seriously anymore? Although I currently have an iPhone, I've owned an Android phone in the past and you certainly don't need to be a scientist to use one.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
OP doesn't seem to understand... Ballmer isn't targetting iOS because iOS is not the market leader and isn't as direct a competitor as Google.

Microsoft is following Google's lead, they are going to make SOFTWARE and leave it up the manufacturers (Samsung, Nokia, and friends) to make the hardware.

Ballmer specifically went after Android because Android is their only real competition in terms of wrestling away focus and manufacturing capacity for their devices. (Apple and HP sure aren't gonna make phones for them

iOS is in 2nd place. Yes, Ballmer would love to have iPhone's market share but he understands that Windows Phone is a hard sell to a more loyal group of owners who only really care about the logo on the back of the device (sorry, but its true). iPhone users buy apps, iPHone users are more vested in Apple's ecosystem.

In contrast, Android has more customers, less brand loyalty and less lock in because many of Google's cloud service are device agnostic.

Android is literally a bigger, easier, better target than iOS.

lateralus1082

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
it seems to be biting Steve Balmer in the arse. http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/ce-oh-no-he-didnt-steve-ballmer-lays-into-android/

I suppose Steve knows fighting iOS is as futile as when Apple use to fight WinIntel. So now he is aiming for second best. Interesting strategy since Android is a bit too wonky for mainstream consumers and Win Phone 7 or whatever is as simplistic as smartphones get.

INTERVIEWER: ... The Zune was getting some traction. Then Steve Jobs goes to MacWorld and he pulls out this iPhone. What was your reaction when you saw that?

STEVE BALLMER: 500 dollars? Fully subsidized? With a plan? I said that is the most expensive phone in the world. And it doesn't appeal to business customers because it doesn't have a keyboard. Which makes it not a very good email machine.

INTERVIEWER: How do you compete with that, though? He sucked out a lot of the spotlight...

STEVE BALLMER: Let's take phones first. Right now, we're selling millions and millions and millions of phones a year. Apple is selling zero phones a year. In six months, they'll have the most expensive phone by far ever in the marketplace...

Watch...

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
If I didn't have an iPhone, I would have a Windows phone before I went Android.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
If I didn't have an iPhone, I would have a Windows phone before I went Android.

Is that because you don't like the Android OS, or because you're pissed off that Android got into the game and is beating iOS in features and availability?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Is that because you don't like the Android OS, or because you're pissed off that Android got into the game and is beating iOS in features and availability?

yawn, more flame baiting.

NO ONE is pissed off about Android doing this or that vs. iOS. NO ONE is pissed that iOS is doing whatever vs. Android. NO ONE REALLY ***** CARES. The only "people" who are pissed off, are the imaginary armies of pissed off Android or iOS fans, concocted by flame baiters and trolls in comments like the one above.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011

Man, you got us all figured out. Are you one of dem mind reeders? :rolleyes:

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC

I have actually used both and I prefer the fluid interface of the Windows phone to the cluttered non-cohesiveness of the Android. But iOS trumps them both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.