1st time buyer essential questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eat me, Jun 1, 2010.

1. eat me macrumors member

Hey guys, in light of the upcoming WWDC announcement I have some question I'd like some help with:

1. I'm getting the new iPhone, would it be possible to sync my iPod Touch and my new iPhone with iTunes, sharing the same apps but NOT contacts, notes etc, with one OS user account (as I plan to give the iPod to someone else)?

2. I've got a T-Mobile UK contract now, which has already expired. Is it possible to transfer my phone number to whichever UK operator will support the new iPhone during pre-order (or in Apple store, or O2/Orange store)?

3. Shortly after WWDC I'll probably get a Mac, will the transition of iTunes (with all the apps etc) be possible and simple?

4. Is there such a thing on OSX where you can make a folder hidden, like on Windows?

Cheers

2. rkswat macrumors regular

1. Yes
    2. Not sure about UK carriers
    3. Yes, but why spend your money on a mac when you can get the same in a PC for about half the cost?
    4. Don't know.

PS love the name.

3. synagence macrumors 6502a

1. Yes...just don't select to sync stuff on the Info tab in iTunes
    2. Yes... just request your PAC (Port Authority Code) before you want to leave, give that code to the new operator and your number shall be transferred
    3. Pretty much ... google 'transfer itunes from windows to mac' there are countless tutorials
    4. Yes, in the permissions (right click, Get info)

Enjoy

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

My answers in bold....

5. synagence macrumors 6502a

Thinking about it.... better option for hidden folders (depending on what you want to put in said hidden folder) is Encrypted Disk Images

See this: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1578

Basically its a file on-disk which is encrypted (password protected) but is also then mountable so it behaves like a regular drive....

You can then also drop it on a USB key for protected backup of important files

6. eat me thread starter macrumors member

3. iPhone development.

ps haha thanks

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Also, he's wrong. So that's another good reason to ignore that!