1st time buyer ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ron7624, Jun 4, 2014.

1. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

I gotta buy a Mac. I want to buy a Mac. I'm excited about the two operating systems coming together. I love that this is happening.
    But,
    I'm currently using a windoze 7 computer because I use an out of production money program. Is there any way to load Microsoft Money 2006 on a Mac?
    i know absolutely nothing about doing this.. bootcamp is a word I've heard.
    Can I buy a MBA, use it with Apple native software and also use a portion of it to run Microsoft Money? Sorry if this is left field, but I love my iPad and iPhone and would really like to get a Mack book Air or should I try it with a Mac mini instead? So many questions, but I'm really wanting to know.

2. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

Yes you can.
    Bootcamp is an option, however I prefer to use a virtual machine inside Mac OS. Parallels is one, Virtual Box is another. The lattes has a huge advantage: it's free. You instal it, then you need a windows installation disk (be aware, use a windows version which will work with you Money, I'd go with win XP), install it. Finally, instal Money. And you're done.

3. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

It may not be what you want to hear, but it is time to find a new money program. I use moneydance on the mac and I like it a lot, but I don't know what your use situation is. Here is a help topic from moneydance about importing your microsoft money accounts.

Making the switch I am sure will be great for you, and what you were originally looking for is doable, but don't limit yourself to being stuck with microsoft money, it's never fun being trapped with outdated software.

4. ron7624 thread starter macrumors 68020

ron7624

Your replies are music to my ears. Thank you. I will investigate and proceed with this endeavor. I've been trying to wean myself from Microsoft money for quite some time but I print all of my own checks and I am so ingrained in using it that I refuse to give it up.
    Knowimagination, if I could find a Mac program as simple and straightforward as MM ,that prints checks, I will happily use it instead of MM, but us old dogs...
    So now I've got to decide between an MBA to maybe a desktop. The MBA IS SOOO COOL and I think it will do everything that I need for it to do.
    Thanks again. Any additional advice is welcomed and appreciated.

5. yrh0413 macrumors newbie

I have been using Ms Money for more than 5 years, and I switched to a Mac computer 3 years back. Spent a lot of $$ on buying and trying different personal finance software on App Store but none of them suits me.

In the end I bought Quicken and ported all my histories from Money, and run Quicken via VMware Fusion. I intend to get a low-end Atom tablet and offload my Quicken there.

Quicken is the closest alternative to Money, especially on the layout/reports/functions.

6. ron7624 thread starter macrumors 68020

ron7624

I've got Quicken. I won't use it. I can and will continue to use MM 2006 till the cows come home or I can find an electronic checkbook that prints checks.
    Im pretty sure someone will come up with one, bit till then I'm going to load it on the MBA when I get one.

7. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I honestly don't know anything about printing checks but here is moneydances take on the matter Check Printing Link

8. ron7624 thread starter macrumors 68020

ron7624

Yup, this program will print checks like I need it to. I will flat give it a try... But got to buy my system first. :p

9. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Glad I could be of assistance. Make sure you come back once you are in the glow of your new purchase :)

10. ron7624 thread starter macrumors 68020

ron7624

It will be 2 weeks before I get funded, but I'll let u know.