1st time ipad buyer, disappointed in note taking

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by notesw, Jul 13, 2013.

1. notesw macrumors newbie

Hi!

This is my 2nd apple product (iphone). Just bought a brand new ipad 4 for the first time. I love everything about the product in terms of apps and simplicity, not to mention the lovely looking sharpness retina.

However I did buy this product to take notes in class instead of using pen and paper. Funny enough the manager did warn me before the purchase, a galaxy note 10.1 would serve my needs better compared to an ipad. Side by side comparison I feel in love with ipad, didn't test the s pen on note though.

Well here i am with the newly bought ipad and i'm not too fond of how weird it feels to write on it. I'm using a standard stylus (similar to bamboo) and it feels like when you're writing on a whiteboard but with less precision.

The one i'm using now: [​IMG][/IMG]

It's not very precise to say at least, using it on note plus.

Since I live in sweden importing a stylus that looks better/performs will take time and money. This one looks interesting: Dagi Stylus p602

[​IMG]

Here's the ultimate question: will this type of pen/stylus actually feel much close to a pen compared to the fat one I already own? Will it be more precise?

I'm only interested in taking notes, not drawing or sketching.

Basically can I stay with my ipad but at the same time get a much better stylus that feels like a pen while taking notes? Or do I have to return the ipad and get a galaxy note instead :confused::eek:

Thank you :D

2. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

Have you thought about using a Bluetooth keyboard? I find it easier than using a stylus when taking class notes. But then again I'm a pretty good typist.

3. notesw thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah then I might as well use my laptop. I'm suprised the stylus isn't good on ipad, this is a future apple should have adressed on the 4th edition. I'm sitting here with my ipad, love everything about it EXCEPT for that darn stylus :/

I want to replace my pen and paper, but right now ugh, don't know what to do :cool:

Thanks for your response.

4. SusanK macrumors 68000

MessagePad was excellent for your use

Hi, Apple had an excellent note taking pad over 15 years ago. It was discontinued stating that handwriting was not good. We had two and they were excellent for notes.

I don't think Apple wants to do good stylus input. Just my .02

5. dextr3k macrumors 6502

The iPad doesn't have a wacom digitizer like the Samsung Galaxy's. And it operates on capacitive touch, which we have to work around by using a stylus. So every ipad style you see is a blunt round point, I read somewhere the ipad contact has to be >6mm in order for it to be recognized.

I have a thinner felt tip stylus and I use Notability app. It allows you to zoom into the paper so even tho your writing is huge (and better looking imo), you can fit a lot on a sheet of paper when you do need to go over them again.

This is the best solution for me, but I think a wacom digitizer should be included in the iPads, oh well.

6. notesw thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it seems like you're right. I also watched a video of Steve Jobs talking about ipad as it's main function is to be controlled by your finger.

I tried out galaxy note, and s-pen, well ipad isn't even in the same ball park here. The most expensive/pen look alike stylus can't change the fact ipad is not a wacom. I've seen a lot of diff stylus, hell one of them recomends you put on screenprotector so you don't scrath the screen, that's just messed up.

I compared my ipad 4 with galaxy, galaxy is superior in a lot of ways, but in the end I stayed with my retina, the resolution, responsiveness and appstore sold it for me. I'm sticking with regular pen and papper in the future.

Might invest in a blutooth keyboard.

As a reference I bought a cosmonaut stylus, and it's perfect, feels like writting with a whiteboard pen.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

7. notesw thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it seems like you're right. I also watched a video of Steve Jobs talking about ipad as it's main function is to be controlled by your finger.

I tried out galaxy note, and s-pen, well ipad isn't even in the same ball park here. The most expensive/pen look alike stylus can't change the fact ipad is not a wacom. I've seen a lot of diff stylus, hell one of them recomends you put on screenprotector so you don't scrath the screen, that's just messed up.

I compared my ipad 4 with galaxy, galaxy is superior in a lot of ways, but in the end I stayed with my retina, the resolution, responsiveness and appstore sold it for me. I'm sticking with regular pen and papper in the future.

Might invest in a blutooth keyboard.

As a reference I bought a cosmonaut stylus, and it's perfect, feels like writting with a whiteboard pen.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

8. SpankyMedic macrumors newbie

Perhaps a different app...

Hello,

I don't know if you have considered this, but perhaps using a different note taking app would be the trick. I, too, am big into taking notes by hand on my iPad, and have tried a few apps. The one I have settled on is called "Notability". I like the variety of pen stroke width, ink color, etc. This is now the only app I use for note taking. I think the app is around $4 or $5, well worth it in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

----------

:rolleyes:
    Although I don't know anything about "wacom digitizers", I agree with dextr3k in that the "Notability" app does have this feature which is a huge help. I forgot to mention this in my precious post.

9. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I realize that I'm a year late lol, but I wanted to agree that the note taking app makes all the difference. I used Molskin Journal for over a year, but recently installed Noteability.
    Notrability was actually free when I dl'd it and it is by far the best handwriting app that I've used.. You may go back to trying notes on your iPad if you're still interested.