Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ripcrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Last I jailbroke my iPod was in 2009. I was away from iOS devices. Got iPhone when 5s was released and decided to jailbreak yesterday for first time and did it (iPhone on iOS 8.1.2)

There are huge collections of apps / tweaks in Cydia

For a first timer which all tweaks / apps would you guys recommend?

I checked the sticky thread but most of them are not supported on iOS 8

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Welcome to the Dark Side :cool:

For recommended tweaks I would say the following are good for pretty much anyone:
- Adblocker
- BiteSMS
- CCSettings
- iFile
- iTunes Radio Unlimited
- Springtomize
- Virtual Home

P.S. just a tip but don't be an jack*** the way some jailbroken idiots are. By this I mean don't use cracked tweaks otherwise the good tweak developers walk away.

Ripcrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Welcome to the Dark Side :cool:

For recommended tweaks I would say the following are good for pretty much anyone:
- Adblocker
- BiteSMS
- CCSettings
- iFile
- iTunes Radio Unlimited
- Springtomize
- Virtual Home

P.S. just a tip but don't be an jack*** the way some jailbroken idiots are. By this I mean don't use cracked tweaks otherwise the good tweak developers walk away.

Thanks. My idea is not to install any cracked apps / tweaks. I generally pay for apps :)

----------

Unfortunately, you can't sort all of what is in Cydia by device/iOS compatibility.

Here is the best list of tweaks compatible with iOS 8.1.2. A tweak here or there might be missing.

BTW, BiteSMS isn't compatible with 8.1.2.

There are several threads on favorite tweaks here.

iDownloadBlog has several video reviews of tweaks at Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/myjailbreakmovies

Thanks

The list url isn't working ?

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Take your time choosing and trying to ensure tweaks don't clash by looking into each one.

BetterFiveIconDock -add http//repo.rpdev.info
BrowserChanger
Eclipse2
iCleaner

I wouldn't use iFile until your better versed in jail breaking.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
My one, most recommended tweak: f.lux

I downloaded this tweak... and I don't know why anyone recommends it. I just don't get the hype. Maybe I don't my phone enough for reading? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the use case for it?

I am really enjoying LockGlyph, FlipControlCenter, Moveable, OpenNotifier, StatusModifier, Cylinder, Activator, BetterFiveIconDock, LockInfo8, HUDDismiss (because that volume HUD takes TOO long to disappear), and ReachApp (though it is still a little buggy for me)

Working on doing some theme changing...

This is my first time jailbreaking and I enjoy it!

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I have f.lux on my Mba which helps my eyes on an evening.

It's just one particular tweak that most jail breakers benefit from.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I downloaded this tweak... and I don't know why anyone recommends it. I just don't get the hype. Maybe I don't my phone enough for reading? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the use case for it?
You might be.

The real value of f.lux is evident when you turn your screen on in a dark room after having adjusted to the darkness.

Instead of being blinded immediately by the cold blue light of your screen (it's natural state) you get a warm, easier to view glow.

f.lux is designed to kick in slowly as the time winds down to sunset. You can always set it to kick in period if you want, but this is the typical design. In this way, once night falls your eyes have adjusted to a warmer glow versus a harsh blue light. A lot of people find that this reduces headache and makes getting to sleep easier. f.lux works on Macs and PCs as well.

The kind of blue light that is typical in LCDs today is the same kind of light you would find at 12 noon on a sunny day. Getting blasted with that at 2am is just not how I want things to happen, so for me f.lux is a great tweak.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
You might be.

The real value of f.lux is evident when you turn your screen on in a dark room after having adjusted to the darkness.

Instead of being blinded immediately by the cold blue light of your screen (it's natural state) you get a warm, easier to view glow.

f.lux is designed to kick in slowly as the time winds down to sunset. You can always set it to kick in period if you want, but this is the typical design. In this way, once night falls your eyes have adjusted to a warmer glow versus a harsh blue light. A lot of people find that this reduces headache and makes getting to sleep easier. f.lux works on Macs and PCs as well.

The kind of blue light that is typical in LCDs today is the same kind of light you would find at 12 noon on a sunny day. Getting blasted with that at 2am is just not how I want things to happen, so for me f.lux is a great tweak.

Is there a way to set it on timer as opposed to using location services?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is there a way to set it on timer as opposed to using location services?
No, because it uses location services to determine the hour of sunset.

However, if you aren't wanting it on at certain points in the day there does exist two options (three if you just go into the app itself).

There is a f.lux Flipswitch. That puts a toggle into Control Center. You can access CC and turn f.lux off and on via the flipswitch.

Second, there is a f.lux Toggle. That puts a different toggle into Activator. Using an Activator action you can toggle f.lux off and on.

Thirdly, you can just access the app itself and turn it off and on, but both the flipswitch and the toggle make this easier.

EDIT: If you really want it on a timer, what you could do is set up an Activator action that goes off at a certain time of day. The action would call the f.lux Toggle and turn f.lux on at that time. A second timed Activator action could turn it off at a different time of day.

This would be predicated on installing the f.lux Toggle though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.