1st time Mac User: Will my Windows bootcamp be slow?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lrittz, May 5, 2010.

1. lrittz macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy this MacBook:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/apple-macbook-fall-2009/4505-3121_7-33783917.html

Im looking to get a Mac since we were successful with launching some apps with an outside developer..

Upon research, I understand you can either Boot Camp it or Parallel..

Due to speed issues with the latter Im more interested with Bootcamping..

As a lawyer with niche software that's only out for PC, I intend to use the Mac 80% via Windows bootcamp, and the other 20% for app development and multimedia..

my question is, if i use it primarily for windows BC, will I notice differences in speed vs just getting a PC netbook/laptop? I was hoping I could kill 2 birds with one stone here, as I actually DO need the mac for app development, but would like to also use it for my office functions (via Windows bc). Thank you much.

PPS, some of the niche software I use on Windows are slight hogs, using more resources than say Microsoft Office, etc.. would this have a huge impact in terms of running it from Mac/Windows bootcamp?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

BC offers running Windows at native speeds, so it will take advantage of the resources it has. It's just like running Windows on a regular PC.

3. lrittz thread starter macrumors newbie

ok great thanks, another noobie question:

in running BC i understand you partition space (will probably do 80/20 Windows/Mac).. but say i download videos/music while in WinXP mode, and then reboot into Mac mode.. will those music/video files be in the same place I downloaded, or would I have to log back into WinXP to obtain them? thanks again

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

They will be in the same place. If they are stored at Boot Camp (name of partition) / My Documents / Videos while in Windows, they will be there when you are in Mac OS X.

MacRumors Guides - File Systems

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Aadhil macrumors regular

Try using a mac without windows first and see if you survive. Depending on what apps you use I'm sure you'll find a mac version or replacement and save some money.

When I switched in 2009 after 10 years of using a PC; I didn't bother with Bootcamp though it did cross my mind. Turns out I never really needed it and I haven't found something yet that I need which my iMac cannot do.

6. lrittz thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh so many links so little time, but thanks for that ill try to look thru when i get more time..

aadhil - thanks, but in my field (law) we use programs and the save files that result from these programs that only have PC versions.. so unfortunately i'd have to use WinXP on the Mac regardless. maybe down the line that'll change but currently Mac + lawyers = wtf.

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

8. kikedeolivos macrumors member

I'm an Architect (building design), switched 1.5 years ago after 20 years of Windows and I will never go back. I have a 32 Gb partition for Windows only soft for my practice. (Autocad, lighting design). Under Bootcamp, the Macbook is a Windows laptop, with all its drawbacks. (Viruses, blue screens, horrible Windows update experience, etc.)
    Each time I work under Windows, can't wait to go back to Mac OSX.

And, BTW, Windows under Mac is fast. (I have a Core Duo 2, 2.40Ghz, 2Mb Ram, video on chip)

9. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

It was will run great,I just pit Win XP Pro on a 60GB BC the other day and it's running great.I would still prefer VMware Fusion,but it's more likely like I will need 4GBb of ram to run Mac alongside with Windows like I want.

10. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

I wonder where these comments come from.

Windows on a Mac(my 08 mini, 09 mini, 09 Macbook) all 'clunky'. Odd pauses, horrible trackpad support...the whole experience is just not right.

Benchmarks are one thing but usability it just doesn't seem right and I've always had this experience.

So much so I just removed BC and went to Fusion 3, now that will be slower but I need to get into Windows less and less so it'll serve its purpose.

11. lrittz thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for this.. i don't doubt the mac's capability and "ease" as others tout within Mac OS. i've used it on my friend's and it seems great..

it's just some other stories i've been reading about with HEAVY windows use on BC that they've had some hiccups.. since it's going to be my main computer for work (all windows only progs) i wonder how it will handle my heavy usage of windows in relation to mac..

many say just get a mini to save (need mac for our app development) and get a real PC laptop/netbook for work which would come out to the same as an entry macbook..but at this point im trying to consolidate everything as i don't like having the mac mini be immobile.. thanks again