1st Time Machine back up since Mavericks Update

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by M3GATR0N, Feb 3, 2014.

1. M3GATR0N macrumors newbie

So the last time I backed up my mac book pro 13" 2010 was right before Mavericks was released. I was previously running snow leopard. I was reluctant to hook up my external hard drive because I was hearing stories of people's external HDD's being erased once they connected it to their computers after upgrading to Mavericks.

Last night I wanted to back up all my files to the external hdd. When I pressed the time machine icon on top I got a PREPARING BACKUP message. This message was there for quite a while. It eventually started backing up but at a very slow pace. I then just stopped the back up because it was taking a long long time. What is causing this?

2. mneblett macrumors 6502

Based on several posts here and on Apple's forums, and my own experience with a couple MBP's, there's nothing unusual in what you've described.

The first Time Machine back-up after Mavericks can take a long time to start (20-30 mins. in some cases), and then it has to do the initial back up of the entire disk -- multiple 10's of GB's takes a long time (hours).

Gigabit Ethernet can cut down the time as compared to 802.11n wireless, but it still can take hours.

3. M3GATR0N thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I made a terrible mistake in deleting my old time machine back ups from the external HDD.

If I had kept those back ups on the hdd the back up would only be 40 gb.
    Now that I started over its at 198 gb.

I left my computer on over night so far its been 7-8 hours and is now at 14.69 gb backed up.

I didn't realize they changed the movement of the time machine icon on top of the screen. Before mavericks it would rotate now there's just a small triangle.

4. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Time Machine is totally unusable for me under Mavericks. I can only hope Apple fixes it in an update.

5. mneblett macrumors 6502

Unusable in what sense?

TM is working just as well for me under 10.9 as it was in 10.8 -- I'm not aware of anything that Apple needs to "fix."

6. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

I'm glad it works for you, it's unusable for me - I posted a thread about my problems in the OSX thread. Please reply if you have any ideas.