1st Time Machine backup VERY slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by heboil, Jan 5, 2011.

1. heboil macrumors newbie

I know that the first one is supposed to take a long time, but can someone let me know what is going on? I have a 2010 Mac Mini that I have upgraded to 8GB of RAM. I am running the OS off a LaCie 1 TB external running it through FW800. Everything is running well. I just picked up a WD My Book Studio Edition II 2 TB FW800 drive to use as additional storage (partition 1) and Time Machine (partition 2). I have daisy chained the FW drives.

I set my Time Machine up to backup about 400 GB of files from one FW drive to the other. At the same time I am copying over about another 400 GB of files from the OS drive to the partition 1 extra storage portion of the new drive.

The 400 GB of copying is taking about 3 hours. That seems OK to me. The Time Machine backup is MUCH slower. I have had it running for about an hour+, and it finished 400 MB of 400 GB. Not that math is my strong suit, but that is on pace to finish my Time Machine backup in 33 days.

What gives?

2. heboil thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been searching even before I posted this question, and I found something on Slow or Hung backups and I relaunched Finder. I just backed up 1 GB in the last minute or two. I guess that was the problem.

3. zowiebowie macrumors newbie

slow initial backup solution

I have a macbook pro and just bought time capsule (TC)
    initial backup has been PAINFUL... overnight 16G... of 100...

turned off X barrier virus,, no improvement
    turned off spotlight,, no improvement
    ethernet cable plugged in as well as wireless connected but ethernet showing yellow in network prefs

solution was
    - left ethernet cable in
    - went into airport utility to change TC setting
    - selected "disable wireless and connect by ethernet"
    - error messages came up saying no IP
    - ignored them
    - ethernet still shows yellow in network prefs
    - restarted backup
    - and its FLYING, just done 16G in the time its taken me to register here and write this.

will probably turn wireless back on in airport utility and let it backup wirelessly after initial one,

hope this helps someone. IM HAPPY NOW