All iPads 1st Timers, how are you liking your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Blakjack, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I like reading posts where people have bought their first iPads. It's that "Wow" factor that makes me feel like it's 2010 all over again.

Post your thoughts on how amazing and ill even take how un-amazing the iPad is to you.

2. jita1 macrumors newbie

3. wib macrumors member

I'll bite...

I have been reading these forums for a couple of years now, but for some reason, your thread spurred me into action to actually sign up so that I could post.

I am a first time iPad owner and I couldn't be happier!

I WAS planning to buy the iPad 4 at the end of last year as I was starting an online course and thought it would be helpful. I kind of made the mistake of checking on here first and read lots of rumours about the iPad 5 coming out in Feb/March, so decided to wait, as I had been bitten before after stupidly buying the last iPod touch 2 weeks before they released the cool ones with cameras etc. - At that time I had no inkling of the release cycles and found this site afterwards... A bit of a double-edged sword as it turned out.

I've been waiting to get my first iPad for almost a year and have been obsessively checking these forums throughout that time looking for advanced warning.

I was going to buy the air, but when I saw it in the shop and heard about the retina mini, I decided to wait.

I'm not certain, but I think I might have been one of the first people in Japan to know about the release on Tuesday/Wednesday. When I went to the electrical store I usually buy things from and asked a man if I could order one he said it wasn't out yet and I showed him on the website - he was shocked! All of the Apple people were out at a special secret meeting that day. I couldn't place an order with him and I couldn't on the internet either as I don't have a credit card. I was really upset as I felt like I 'deserved' to be able to buy one of the first ones but was being thwarted at every turn...

The next morning I was really excited to find out that the shop was opening an hour early to sell them. Despite expecting a huge queue, there were just a handful of people. I got a ticket for a 32, but when I was at the counter changed to a 64, reasoning that once it's paid for, too much space is never a problem, but too little is.

So, I have my first iPad - mini retina 64 in Space Gray! I can't believe how perfect it is! The screen is perfect - no tints, strong colours. It's really quick. The size is just right. My techie friend did some mysterious test on it with some kind of super-high resolution picture and was VERY impressed by how it handled it. Although I got it on Wednesday, I hadn't had time to use it properly until today. I had lots of fun playing on Garage Band, surfed the internet (in portrait) and it can more than handle websites and is faster than my windows PC, also for me, there's no need to zoom, as the letters are pinpoint sharp.

Tonight I got to use it for the purpose I intended it for: reading PDFs for my course. I can read them clearly in portrait - I have good eyes and the retina screen means the letters are clear. I was able to study in the coffee shop I used to study in, and relax and read. It was wonderful - I feel so free now I can study wherever I like, walk around, change position - no longer chained to my desk. It's a cliche, but I really do think it's worth its weight in gold - at least to me.

Zero complaints even though it cost me quite a lot more than a Kindle or Nexus 7 would have. (In fact when I was getting desperate I checked them all out in the shop, but couldn't do it - the designs are horrible). People say it's like a big iPhone - well great, that's exactly what I wanted - my iPhone 5 is one of my most prized possessions and changed my life in many small ways, and the screen on that, the clarity of type etc, is what I was really hoping the mini would have.

If you read through this incredibly long post, I commend you for your fortitude.

wib

4. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I know there are more. Come on, let us hear your thoughts. How are you liking it and have any of you tried other tablets. Compare them to the iPad if you can.

5. jacobss macrumors 6502

I never wanted to buy an iPad, But I liked the retina iPad Mini and was thinking if I should buy it or not. So I heard last week that they released it and then I decided to go to the Apple store to see it for myself, couldn't decide between the Air or the Retina Mini. After some time playing around with them I decided to go with the Retina Mini, to my surprise I had to order the Retina Mini online, couldn't buy it in store. So I went with the Air instead. I love my iPad Air, but I'm still thinking about the Retina Mini. So far i've watched some movies, YouTube, Facebook, web browsing, music, and the usual stuff I do on my pc, but now I'm on my bed:D. I think I'll be using it a lot for studying, it's much more better than reading on my pc. I love my iPad!