1st trip to the Apple Store questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ppfd, Jun 7, 2007.

1. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

Going to the Apple Store in Columbus Ohio next week. I have a few questions before hand.

Can I get a better deal at an Apple Store? Will they except the student discount?

Do they keep machines in stock? I want a mac book White 2.16G or do they have to order these?

The MB will pick up my home network correct? Do I need Airport express or Extreme? What exactly do these do?

What is .mac?

And if all goes well is there anything I need to get extra while I'm there?

I will be picking up Apple care as well

Thanks

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, they should except your student discount, assuming you bring proof (e.g. student ID).

Yes, they should have that MacBook in stock, assuming you want the stock config.

You shouldn't have any problems with your current network. You do NOT need an airport express or extreme ...any wireless router will due.

Wikipedia has a good overview of .Mac: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.Mac
    ...basically, it's an optional Apple service that gives you a few perks. As a current subscriber, I don't recommend it (not for the price at least).

You could always pick up an iPod. ;) ...Are you aware of the current free iPod deal for college students? Link

3. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

The prices are the same at the apple store and you can use your student discount. Just bring you student ID.

They keep all standard configurations in stock. The 2.16 shouldn't be a problem.

If you have wireless in your house already, the macbook should have no problem picking it up. The airport express is pretty much just another wireless router.

As for stock...you should call the apple store to be certainly sure they have the configuration you want in stock. Ask them any questions you want, they are usually very helpful.

4. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Better deal at the Apple store compared to where? Of course they keep machines in stock! They should have macbook's... What kind of home network do you have? Will mostly work. Airport express/extreme are routers for making a home network, espeically wireless. Sounds like you have that? .mac is a service. You should really go to the site from Apple to see. You get a @mac e-mail address, some online storage, backup stuff, some other stuff. Nothing extra unless you want some peripherals like a mouse. Also, would highly recommend buying a case, not necessarily from the Apple store, but that would be easy. One suggestion, make sure to open the box while you are there and make sure there are no issues with the screen, etc..

6. 2hondas macrumors regular

:confused: Is that a really big and common issue??

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

No, and it sounds pretty rare with the LED screen's for the 15 inch now. But, it's a alot easier to get a replacement so I hear if you check in store, as having to come back and try and work things out.

8. ppfd thread starter macrumors regular

ppfd

Thanks all

Yeah a standard config. 2.16, super drive, 120g hd should do me for my first mac.

Home network is D link 2.4G

Yeah I'm gonna get my first I pod as well:D

Deals were as far as Apple site vs. store

And I'll hold off on .mac.

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

Site vs. the store are typically the same on equipment prices, although the store folks can usually discount .Mac by $30 if you buy it with a computer.

If you decide you want it later (i.e. if lots of new features are added to it next week at WWDC), you can always buy it via Amazon.com for $20 off of Apple's price.