1st week using my new iMac xD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Meowr-, May 18, 2009.

1. Meowr- macrumors newbie

Woo! Bought my new iMac last week. Got the 24" 2.66Ghz 2009 model. Standard stock specs (was gonna get the 3.06 with 4850, but couldn't justify the extra money I had to spend.)

Pretty much got this PC (omg yes, he said it! Because it is a PC) because of Logic. Been using Windows and its various programs for recording music for the past 3 years, and I tried out the OS X interface on my friends iMac, and. Loved it. <3

But geez, this thing hasn't been headache free... First off, I felt like a dumb*** when i turned it on because I knew no shortcuts, or what to do really. And I utterly HATED the mouse acceleration. I've tweaked some things in terminal to kind of turn it off. I think.

And Boot Camp? Install Windows, insert OS X disc for drivers? I don't think Apple does very well with the drivers included. Windows 7 works great on the thing, unless you play the game I do (S4 League) and learn that it crashes the game each time. Ran into some errors also, installing XP.

All of this though, nothing that Google couldn't help me out with. Though I feel as if I'd installed and reinstalled as much as I did with my Eee PC 901, it's helped me learn my way around OS X a lot quicker, and I can proudly say that I am really liking this system.

P.S. Bluetooth sucks so I returned it and bought the bigger keyboard. <3 Would love to get a wireless mighty mouse, just not a bluetooth one.

Now to actually scrounge up some money for Logic Express and wait for my Axiom 49 to come in the mail...

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Edited for simplicity... ;)

Congrats, and welcome. :D

3. Meowr- thread starter macrumors newbie

Dan... That's almost as scary as somebody recording my voice and piecing sentences together out of syllables and phrases out of the recordings. =)

Thank you though.

Any suggestions or tips to using OS X? Like "must-know" keyboard shortcuts. Like, I just found out now that even if I'm typing in this message box, if I push home or end it'll move the page, not the keyboard cursor. Bah, Command+Left,Right,Up,Down. Lol.

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Hahaha, that was the effect I was going for! :eek:

Give it a few days, once you go Mac...

5. Meowr- thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh gosh. I know THAT. Lol.

Now to find a USB hub.

6. Dry Rot macrumors member

This might help

http://rixstep.com/2/20040510,00.shtml

7. Meowr- thread starter macrumors newbie

8. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

I don't understand. The drivers are on the OS X DVD precisely so you don't have to burn your own CD, which is what you had to do with the beta.

9. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I agree with AlexisV, on DVD drivers much better than the Beta... Also, as far as keyboard shortcuts go, try and get a keyboard overlay for logic express, especially if thats going to be your main application.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Make sure you try a mighty mouse before you buy...a lot of people do not like them. I like my logitech mx revolutions.

11. Meowr- thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't say anything bout burning DVDs. Just that they weren't the most up to date drivers. =) No biggie.

Keyboard overlay.... I couldnt find one for Logic on Apple's website. Is it me or am i just blind?

12. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Why does bluetoof suck? I'm using the BT kbd and mouse with my Mac Mini. The Mac Mini is hooked up to the TV, and both kbd and mouse work perfectly with me sitting on the couch 20 feet away. Just curious why you don't like it.

13. Meowr- thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't mean that in a serious way. In a more complete sentence, "Bluetooth sucks for what I need it to do." I play games, and I didn't plan on using the BT mouse with any games, but the keyboard, yeah (who'd plan on switching keyboards each time you play a game?) but I noticed it lagged quite a bit (or enough for me to notice.) Windows 7 was easy to pair at the same time as OS X, but Vista or XP just don't work very easily (Windows 7 was annoying to play that game on because of compatibility reasons).

Also, the keyboard felt a bit small for me, even if I don't use the numpad excessively, I like it where it is. And +2 USB ports so... =)

Whoa that was long, but yeah. =D

14. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Command+Q (Quits apps)
    Command+W (Same effect as pressing the little red x in the top left corner)
    If you're gaming in OSX, either Command+Space, or Command+Return will minimize your game
    If you're working on something or trying to find something in a picture, Zoom is Control+Scroll
    If you're gaming in OSX, to use the function keys as F1 -> F19, Press fn+F# key

I can't think of anymore that i use lots. But i'll update if I think of anything else

Welcome to an exclusive club of smarter people ;)

EDIT1: This was quick, but Command+Shift+3 (Screen shot) and Command+Shift+4 (Selective screen grab)
    EDIT2: Holding shift while taking a picture in Photo Booth disables the flash. Option disables the countdown. Both together do both

15. Meowr- thread starter macrumors newbie

Shift+Tab, Ctrl+Shift+Tab

I was actually wondering if i could change the Command+Shift Left,Right controls in Safari to Shift+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab. I browse the interwebs with close to 20 tabs open at times (at times, not all the time :p) and well, using both hands to switch tabs (and taking my hand off the mouse for it) bothers me.

I mean I can click the tab, but it's easier to type a shortcut.