1strev macbook pro, battery lasts until 76% and shuts off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cramer, Jul 9, 2008.

1. cramer macrumors newbie

I have a 1st revision Macbook Pro 15" that's about 2 years and a few months old, and all of a sudden the battery will not provide power past approximately 76%. As soon as the the battery displays, 75% or 76% of the charge remaining, the laptop shuts off completely, does not warn me that my battery is low, and does not sleep or save the contents of my RAM - nothing it should be doing. The battery is only at 149 cycles as of today, and I don't have any sort of AppleCare plan. Is this something I can get replaced under a warranty, or would I have to shell out for a new battery? And is it even worth it?

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help.

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I know it sounds silly, but is the critical battery setting or similar not just at some rediculously high value - i.e. 75%? Some energy saving thing in preferences?

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

When was the last time you calibrated your battery? Calibrate your battery first and if that still doesnt work call Apple. You clearly have a defective battery because you only have 149 cycles and your capacity is less than 80%. Calibrate your battery and if doesnt work...call Apple or go to the Apple Store.

4. operator207 macrumors 6502

Notice the Condition is: Check battery.

Here is mine, not as old, nor does it have as many cycles on it ( about 1/2):

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 5184
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 5184
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 67
    Condition: Good
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 146
    Voltage (mV): 12635

Notice the extreme differences in yours and mine. Ther should not be that much of a difference.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

After a few years, Lithium cells will die without user intervention so this drop and sudden loss in capacity is expected.

6. cramer thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured there shouldn't be that much of a loss either, but I guess it's expected as alphapod described. Thank you for your replies everyone, off to buy a new battery I suppose.

7. nyzballa12 macrumors member

Although Lith. batteries are expected to have a drop in performance, it shouldn't be this much of a drop.

8. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Revision A MBP's had very bad batteries. I had one too but instead of dying at 76% it died at 57%. Only way to go is replacing it. At least yours didnt expand.

9. operator207 macrumors 6502

Did you guys exercise your batteries? I run the workday with my laptop plugged in, unless I am in a server room, or traveling from location to location. The evenings that I am on my laptop (pushing Aperture 2 and Photoshop) I run without the mains connected, until I get the warning, then plug it in until its charged.

Doing this with my current MBP, and my old (before it died) PB 1.67ghz seems to have exercised it enough to keep good. Though the PB suffered from a battery recall, and it did get a new battery around the 1 year mark, but the second battery lasted 2 years, then the logic board stopped being logical. ;) It was not showing any problems before the LB died.

I thought I would share this, maybe it could explain a short lived battery.

10. mrblu macrumors newbie

MBP battery

Quote:
    "I have a 1st revision Macbook Pro 15" that's about 2 years and a few months old, and all of a sudden the battery will not provide power past approximately 76%. As soon as the the battery displays, 75% or 76% of the charge remaining, the laptop shuts off completely, does not warn me that my battery is low, and does not sleep or save the contents of my RAM - nothing it should be doing."

Mine is only nine months old, with only 63 cycles on it. It shuts off with NO warning at about 83%! Also note the strange value for the amperage:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Serial Number: Sony-ASMB012-3734-9d57
    Manufacturer: Sony
    Device name: ASMB012
    Pack Lot Code: 0003
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 102a
    Hardware Revision: 0500
    Cell Revision: 0303
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 4541
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 4777
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 63
    Condition: Good
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -1721
    Voltage (mV): 11801

My questions: Is this battery going bad, or is there something else I should look into?

Is the 'Amperage = -1721' a sign of a problem?

A couple of times when gaming on the windoze side of Boot Camp, the machine has also simply shut off with no warning, but I've assumed that the high heat created by the intense graphical demands caused that. Does anyone see a connection between that shut down and the 83-85% shut down when on battery?

Any help will be appreciated!

11. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

If it is the original battery chances are the previous owner should have had it replaced. Apple had a replacement program going on. I kept both batteries though and when i use the old one it has the exact same symptoms as yours.

I suspect its too late to get apple to replace your battery but you may have to buy a new one.

(this was the kind of form that was sent out, im unsure if this applies though - http://support.apple.com/macbookpro15/batteryexchange/index.html - )

12. whitneydigital macrumors newbie

MBP Shuts off at 75% battery with only 44 charge cycles

Did you ever find out any more info on this? My 2007 battery has only 44 cycles, and it shuts off at 75%.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, you have WAY too few cycles on your battery, indicating you run with it plugged in far too much. Second, have you calibrated your battery, to make the reporting accurate?

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ