Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
As to stashing it ALL in the cloud...

1. Cost. Some of us would rather not spend $10/month for iCloud storage. That gets you 2TB, but the smaller tier is 200 GB for $3/month and that wouldn't be enough space. Rather spend the money on a larger internal drive to begin with.

2. We've had Internet service go down for a day or two or be inconsistent for several. Then, you're out of luck without access to key docs, apps, photos, etc.

3. You have to trust 3rd parties, even Apple, with confidential personal, medical, and financial documents. You may, we don't.

4. Speed. Local SSD is faster, sometimes much faster.

5. All the other reasons mentioned... :cool:

Certainly, a combination of storage media is best — rapid access internally for things used regularly, local external drive for WHOLE drive backup and quick restoration of EVERYTHING (using, e.g., Carbon Copy Cloner), cloud storage for certain items—e.g., critical docs being worked on for commission, work, or publishing, and off-site physical WHOLE drive backups in case of fire.

Our photos take up most of the room. It's tedious, but it helps every year or two to go through them all and delete the blurred, poor exposure, poor framing, etc. ones. I've saved hundreds of gigabytes that way.

This thread has been useful in that it got me to check the iCloud pricing (seems lower than it was in the past) and to consider getting 1TB rather than 512GB so I can avoid the tedium of photo cullingnor do it less often!

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
The problem with cloud is it usually just Sync's, so you still need the same space locally or mess around with selective sync which is just yet another pain.

Even when I use 'cloud' I still need lots of local space. For example I use iTunes Match which puts your iTunes library in the cloud. But I need a local library somewhere to sync up to the cloud. To me cloud is not a replacement for local storage, more of a hybrid between local and internet facing network storage.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Cloud storage is almost never end-to-end encrypted (see BBC: "FBI 'persuaded Apple to halt iCloud encryption'") so I just store most things on my computer, and keep offline Time Machine backups.

Also, if you program for a living you tend to need a lot of storage. Just for iOS development alone, I need maybe 100gb for multiple versions of Xcode and Xcode-related application data.

^^ This....I do the same, do not trust the cloud with my memories. I put a 3TB drive on my time capsule and just dump into as needed to free up space on the 512GB. I can't see needing a 1TB drive unless you refuse to archive anything.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I don’t want slow access. Cloud is slower than spinning platter drive.

I don’t want to depend on an internet connection to access my data.

I don’t want my data on third party servers.

I keep my hardware a long time. What’s the cost of hundreds of GB of cloud service over 5-10 years?

JeepGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Barrie
Don't want to pay someone to store my stuff, besides have a 40tb array to store all my stuff. My work stuff is too large to work effectively, can take as much as 20mins to load some projects.

PsykX

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2006
As soon as you do some video editing, FCPX creates so many temporary files that you wish you had as many terabytes as you could.

I had bought a 1TB HD 15 years ago, and I'm wondering if it wasn't even 2 TB...
I bought a 3 TB Fusion Drive in 2013, which died, so I replaced the HD with a 1 TB SSD.
My "pool" of files has changed a LOT in 15 years, and yes I managed to go from 3 TB to 1 TB because of Clouds and whatnot.

What I recommend is to buy the base option, buy an NVME 1 TB card, buy an NMVE casing, and plug it USB-C. Apple's prices are beyond ridiculous for storage upgrades.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
1 terabyte of storage might seem large for the use case of the buyers of these particular Macs (reminder: they're the new low-end machines), but for a lot of "pro" work it's simply adequate or even not enough. Everyone in this thread provides examples, and on my 512gb MBP I had to clean out the storage regularly to keep it going. I know I've filled up 1TB drives easily on my desktop.

Also, cloud storage is neat, but that's assuming you'll never have anything up there that you'll need and never go anywhere that you might not have an internet connection. Even in major cities in the U.S. that's not the case! Just a couple weeks ago I was in a place where I had no internet connection.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I got the 16GB/2TB M1 MBP to replace my same spec’ed 2015 MBP. I do a lot of recording in both Logic Pro and in Cubase, and have a HUGE folder of music projects. I’ve also got a very large collection of folders of photos from pre-iCloud days, and although I don’t want to get rid of them, I don’t want them all in my photo library, either. I also tend to keep a lot of videos downloaded in the TV app. And I do some light FCP work, and those library’s always seem to take up tons of space, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.