1TB 35 pass secure erase takes more than 12 hours-is it normal?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johnsy, Mar 13, 2009.

1. johnsy macrumors 6502

I accidentally selected 35 pass secure erase option for samsung F1 1Tb drive and erasing takes already more than 12 hours. Is it normal?
    Can I interrupt erasing? Will it be safe? HD is brand new, oem, so I am not sure if is good or what. Before starting erasing there was a warning that drive failed to eject or something like that.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yes it'll take ages, AGES. One more thing why are you doing this on a new drive? :confused:

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

So you're doing roughly 35 x 1000GB writing. Put another way, if you wrote a GB a second, that's just under 10 hours of writing to do.

4. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

It was an accident. I wanted to choose other option but hit that instead. I made bootable hard drive clone yesterday with Superduper and for some reason I was not able to boot from external hard drive. I use OWC mercury elite pro 4'd external enclosure (new too, so I am not sure if is good). Is it safe to disconnect drive without finishing erasing?

Edit, thanks t0mat0, i think I am stuck for total 175 hours - current 12.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You should be able to cancel/skip it from within Disk Utility. I strongly advise against a physical disconnection.

6. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

Disk Utility was frozen. The only thing I could do click Quit in dock. It warned me that it might render HD unusable. Will try to format it again. Partitioning seems take longer than usual. I might bricked my HD...:eek:

EDIT update

Drive seems OK. I am cloning my imac's HD to it.

7. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Physical disconnects whilst formatting are fine. The worst that will happen is that you corrupt data.

Even if it screws up the table, you can correct it with fdisk.

8. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

I did cloned HD but notice interesting thing- when I boot imac or mbp while holding option key, cloned drive appears only after a 5 seconds.

9. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Oh, good god.

I did that once.
    Never again.

It does take forever, in fact I think it was saying 24 hours or something when I did it. Not worth it unless you are a government worker, had credit card information all over it, have to cover top secret documents, or such.