Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macforthewin

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
As far as I'm aware there really isnt a need to get overtly concerned with it.

if you get an enclosure that handles more than 1 drive, it should state its max power and voltage regulations and if a specific size drive may or may not be compatible.
but i think its a bit too much thinking into it.

As long as they support SATA-II (3Gbps) drives, you should be fine...

I'd recommend putting the external drives and any other of equipment on a surge protector atleast or a good UPS.

:cool:

ok i dont want to spend too much on a enclosure but want one that can support the 1tb caviar black and not cause it to die and have all the things on the drive to be lost

are these enclosures good for my hdd?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173040
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182136#spec

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
ok i dont want to spend too much on a enclosure but want one that can support the 1tb caviar black and not cause it to die and have all the things on the drive to be lost

are these enclosures good for my hdd?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173040
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182136#spec

well the first one i gave to you was 19.99 w/ free shipping and i have two of those one with a 1TB Black and one with a 1TB Hitachi Deskstar.

Both run perfectly fine in there.

the other two you linked are fine choices as well, the enclosure (whichever you get) isnt going to warrant damage, protect or destroy data on the drive itself...neither would say keeping the drive internally woudl it harm it anymore or less than if the drive is already failing.

BUT, almost any enclosure should do the trick.
The Rosewill enclosures you posted are fine...

macforthewin

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
ok ty for ur help would the fan make really any difference? i read a review on the one wit the fan and the reviewer said it didnt lower the temp by more then 3-4 degree c so not sure if i should fork over the extra for the fan maybe i will just flip a coin lol

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
ok ty for ur help would the fan make really any difference? i read a review on the one wit the fan and the reviewer said it didnt lower the temp by more then 3-4 degree c so not sure if i should fork over the extra for the fan maybe i will just flip a coin lol

the two i linked, the Rosewill and ICYDOCK, dissipate heat away from drive naturally with their enclosures. so a fan would help, but in such confined spaces the drive may get alittle cooler with a fan but that fan is also blowing the hot air back onto the drive aswell.

my drives stay fairly warm but not hot to the touch, just as cool as they were internally.

macforthewin

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
after reading some reviews on the $19.99 one i linked i am getting bit concerned. also the enclosures needs internal sata II?

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
after reading some reviews on the $19.99 one i linked i am getting bit concerned. also the enclosures needs internal sata II?

concerned about what?

SATA-I & SATA-II are backwards compatible...just if you put one of the 1TB Blacks into a SATA-I enlcosure (i dont think there are specifically any out there these days) it will run at 1.5Gbps instead of the 3Gbps bandwidth...but thats something you need to worry about with those enclosures...it was only informing you since you were apparently new to looking at enclosures.

I think you might just be looking into things a bit much. Not saying its bad, but the enclosures are enclosures, you utilize it the same way of installing it inside a MacPro or ther desktop...just it connects to its own powersource and different protocol (USB, FW, eSata, etc)

Just pick one up you like and appeals to you, if it doesnt work out you can always exchange it on newegg.com

macforthewin

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
ok ty i will go with the one u linked for $19.99
cuz the one i found for $19.99 had bad reviews about getting too hot and
that really concerned me.
since i am using usb2 the 3gbps wont really matter right?

Horst

Jan 10, 2006
ok ty i will go with the one u linked for $19.99
cuz the one i found for $19.99 had bad reviews about getting too hot and
that really concerned me.
since i am using usb2 the 3gbps wont really matter right?

With OSX being spelling sensitive, you can't go wrong either way.

robotartfashion

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
i have 2 1 tb blacks in my mac pro, i never hear a thing

as a matter of fact the only noise i ever hear out of the thing is the optical drive when it's going full speed during some rips of dvds

buy them if you get a good deal, you won't be disappointed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.