1TB drive in optibay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aaron580, Apr 11, 2012.

1. aaron580 macrumors member

Hey guys i have a quick question. I am looking to do an SSD and HDD and was wondering which optibay would I need to get to support a 1TB HD? Ive been looking at ones on ebay and some of them say max supported is 650gb so that has me curious. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

If the drive physically fits and has sufficient cooling then it'll be fine. It's literally a mount adaptor for the SATA port, there's no electronics in the optibay.

Check the height of the 1TB drives. Last time I checked most were 12mm (vs 9.5mm for a standard SATA laptop drive) to allow them to fit in an extra platter.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

1TB can fit no problem.
    Probably 2TB as well.

Just make sure put your SSD in main bay so it can support up to 6Gbps.

4. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

5. aaron580 thread starter macrumors member

THanks guys. Im looking at buying an external since they are cheaper and just ripping the drive out of it since it would be cheaper that way. Anybody done that with a 1tb drive? 500s work great but dont know about 1tb. Just need to make sure I find one thats a 9.5mm.

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I don't want to thread jack...but are there any recommendations to which optibay to buy?

7. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Btw, SATA-III and SATA-II connections do not work reliable in the optibay. That means you need a 9.5 mm SATA-II drive, which is backwards-compatible with SATA-I (1.5 GBit/s). As far as i can see, Western Digital provides such a drive.

8. Sangdushi macrumors regular

Man what do you guys do with all that space? Work stuff or just fun media stuff like movies or games? Must feel nice having all your stuff with you in your teeny tiny little laptop.

9. unixperience macrumors regular

they dont have to be 9.5... possibly, the computers take 12mm in the normal hdd bay.. i think the superdrive is 12mm itself, but i cant be sure. what i am sure is that 12mm fit in the regular bay.. so id guess in the superdrive spot as well

additionally, good luck getting a hdd out of an external. I've done that before, it was simple enough, but for some reason the drive didn't behave ideally (it was a 750gb freeagent) and the computer would become nonresponsive or kernal panic... strange i know, I would've thought such a switch would be easy, however the drive did, and still does function fine back in its original enclosure... just not in the comp itself

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It pays to be careful with disassembling external 2.5" drives. Some manufacturers (notably WD) now use custom drives with the USB connectors on the main interface board.

11. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

If you work with raw video or entire BDs, you need that space. 1 TB is enough for

4 channel/8-Bit/1920x1080/29.97 FPS video,

= 249 MByte/s (1 MByte = 1000 * 1000 Byte)

if we assume that we can compress the raw video down to 50 percent with a lossless CoDec such as HuffYUV.

249 MByte/s / 2 = 125 MByte/s

1000000 MByte (1 TB) / 125 Mbyte/s = 8000 seconds

8000 seconds / 60 seconds (1 minute) = 133 minutes = 2 hours, 13 minutes

Not much, because most professionals use 16-Bit per channel.

12. szarkupacka macrumors newbie

i have samsung 1tb in optibay. it works fine. i store itunes and movies on it.