1TB drive only showing 595GB?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mexbearpig, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Well I have a Western Digital hard drive. It is a 1TB drive that I used for Time machine a few times. Today I went to wipe the drive and deleted a few movies and my backups. The only file left is less than a GB. But it still only shows 595.16GB. In time machine it says 595.2GB available out of 9xxGB. Where did all the space go? :confused:

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well if there's still a file remaining, I'll assume that you didn't format it. If you simply deleted files from it, then you may need to remount the disk. I often see on various platforms when the OS doesn't immediately recognize a large change in the amount of available space on a drive. If that doesn't work, formatting should.

Since the OS recognizes the full capacity of the partition/drive, it can't be unallocated space.

3. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

did you accidentally partition it and make half of the drive unused? this sounds like a formatting issue maybe you clicked the wrong ....um thingy.

4. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I don't think I did much to it. I just plugged it in and went to town with it. Put movies on it and 3 or 4 backups. Really didn't do anything complicated with it....

5. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Did you remember to empty your trash? If you just move them to trash and never empty it - then the files are still on the drive.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

If the drive were partitioned, the software wouldn't report the correct capacity of the entire disk.

7. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Some file systems can't handle such a big drive, and you have to partition it into two easy to manage drives. I had this problem a while back. Linky

8. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

SDub90 You might be on to something. I started to empty the trash about 7 minutes ago. Items to delete so far: Almost 400,000. And counting

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you have a lot to delete, and your intent is to have a clean drive, you might save some time by formatting it rather than deleting everything via Finder.

10. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Well not even half way through an it's back up to 848gb. Thank you all.
    There is one file left. It's a pretty useless file but it was included on the drive (WD_mac_tools). And I would rather not get into formatting and such. I really don't know much about it and don't need to. Thanks anyway.

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

That's fair enough, glad your issue was solved. Always is the simplest thing eh?

12. Xavier macrumors 68020

I had a 500gb harddrive fail and would only read 250gb. And then the whole thing failed soon there after.

13. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

That file is useless. Those files cause more problems than anything.
    Honestly, it'd be best to just format it with an Erase in Disk Utility.
    It just seems like a waste of time trying to figure out what file is taking up X amount of space. Also gets rid of any WD installed software on the drive.

Formatting is pretty easy and straight forward. Besides after formatting if it doesnt read the entire size of the drive then for sure you know something is wrong with the drive and time for a new one.