1TB Drive toasted by iPartition! Pls Help...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vangoboy, Apr 9, 2012.

1. vangoboy macrumors newbie

Hi all

Last night I had some good wine, and decided to make two equal partitions out of my 1TB drive (one of which I would use for time machine).

Here is what I did:

1. I had about 400GB on data on the single FAT32 partiton to start with, so I simply shrunk the partition (so I could divide 1TB in 2 equal partitions), and hit apply.
    2. The window said it was resizing the partition which went ok.
    3. Then it said it was moving the data. And since this was taking forever, I decided to leave it connected to power, and hit the bed as I was feeling quite dizzy by then.
    4. So I wake up the next morning all excited, and find a message saying something like - Could not move data as unable to read/write to disk. So the partiton was not resized and I lost all my data as well.
    5. I have been frustrated ever since...

Thoughts: I think what might have happened is that, somewhere halfway (even though the power was connected) the harddisk decided to go on sleep as well.

Now, is there any way in the universe to retrieve all my lost data, gathered during the last decade?

Please Help!!!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Was this an internal drive, boot drive or external?

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

there are data recovery tools(software) but they are never really 100%

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

In this scenario, I would be amazed if Data Rescue 3 didn't retrieve all the missing data. OP, it's your best bet (and don't try to use that drive for anything until you try it!), but it does run $99. I've used it many times with great success.

jW

5. vangoboy thread starter macrumors newbie

I gave Disk Drill a try, which was able to detect the previous partition. Upon doing the deep scan, it was able to find some files, however they had all LOST their names.

Before going ahead with any approach, I want to make sure that I can get the best result. So will give Data Rescue 3 a try as well now.

I understand that these tools use different algorithms for data retrieval. Does anyone think one tool is better than another?

Also, since this was a fat32 partition, would it be worth giving it a go on Windows and using GetDataBack for FAT?