1TB external hard drive for MBP -- La Cie or FD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Dec 23, 2008.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822154207

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop...+Hard+Drive-External+Hard+Drives&dpno=7532251

can't decide, what do you think? or could you guys steer me towards a better alternative for a good price? I custom built a seagate 120gb internal hd+macally firewire 400 enclosure a few years ago but its maxed out and i want an external for all my downloads and time machine and such for *real* backup. i dont trust the long term lifespan of the harddrive in my MBP

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

both are USB 2.0 only (I wouldn't use eSATA probably). I'm leaning towards La Cie also.

how does that compare to firewire 400 I currently have on my 120gb custom built macally external closure?

is USB 2.0 acceptable?

4. Nadasive macrumors 6502

I say get This HDD

Sure its a little pricey but its the best External HDD I've ever had with NO problems Whatsoever. its great HDD :) check it out

5. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I have the 1TB La Cie and like it. Very quiet.

6. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

the same lacie i posted a link to? which hd manufacturer do they usually throw into their external hard drives?

7. number9 macrumors 6502

I have a similar question. I just ordered the LaCie eSATA, FireWire 400 & Hi-Speed USB 2.0 1 TB external for $147 and saw the Fantom USB 2.0/eSATA 1 TB external on buy.com for $89.99 after a $40 mail in rebate.

Do you think the Firewire option and the name brand ( I realize LaCie doesn't make the actual hard disk) is worth the extra money over the USB 2.0/eSATA only Fantom one? I amusing it as the drive for a CarbonCopy back up and as storage for my media, so it will get used for periodic back ups and media play back. I assumed firewire 400 would be better for this than USB 2.0.

What do you all think?

8. nicfargo macrumors member

I just recently got the WD My Book Studio II. This thing is pretty nice. USB, FW400/800, eSATA, 2TB (1TB RAID 1), for like $220 on Bestbuy.com. So far it works great. I'm using it as my time machine and I really like it so far. Good stuff!

9. trekster macrumors member

Didn't want to create a new thread. This was the most recent thread that I found. I'm interesting in buying a 1tb harddrive and I was wondering which brand should I go with. I'm going to connect it to my AEBS. I have all macs at my house but I would also like the harddrive to be windows friendly.

10. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I have the Fantom Drive and I like it. I got the GF1000EU model though.

Comes with a Western Digital 1TB green drive that works well, nice enclosure too, and comparatively very cheap!

11. trekster macrumors member

link please. :)

12. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822204069&Tpk=gf1000eu

this is the drive it comes with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136151

I got it from buy.com earlier when it was $80 something after rebate, but $90 after rebate from newegg.com is good too, newegg.com is the best too.

I too contemplated getting the La Cie but I heard of power failures on it. Plus, it comes bundled with one of a few random drives. If I were getting La Cie, I'd want a higher end quatra drive or something. Those seem really solid

13. trekster macrumors member

Thanks for the links.
    How's the noise and heat?

14. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Drive is pretty silent, and heat dissipates well with the external (after transferring 200GB and letting it run for a while).

15. MidwestStuck macrumors member

Yes, I have the exact same HD and works like a charm. LaCie is supposed to be pretty reliable. As for the OP, I recommend you take a look at the same model. Here's a link http://www.buy.com/prod/lacie-1tb-7200rpm-triple-interface-usb-2-0-firewire-esata-external/q/loc/101/207875541.html. It's the same thing as the original LaCie HD you were looking at, but it comes with FW and eSATA.

16. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

i have 3 external HDs that i can recommend and have good experience with: a Lacie 1TB (esata, FW, USB 2) and a Seagate Free Agent 1TB (esata, FW, USB 2). I also have a 500GB SG 500GB Free agent (esata, USB 2) that I use for my PC.

i have had multiple bad experiences with Maxtor and Western Digital in th past so I am staying away from them. Moreso with Maxtor than with WD. All 3 are formatted with NTFS and I can read/write to them all with the Macs using Macfuse.

17. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

I am looking at buying an external 320G USB/Firewire for my current MBP which is about 4 years old. Most of the Portable External Drives have no Power Brick since they use the USB for Power. However I want to use Firewire. Is there enough power if any to run the drive or do I need to use both USB for power and Firewire for Data? Or how do I power it? Thanks!

Bill.....:apple: