1TB for my MacPro help!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by umbilical, Aug 21, 2008.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

The ST31000340AS is a consumer grade drive.
    • Nonrecoverable Read Errors per Bits Read = 1 per 10E14
    • The MTBF = 750,000 hrs
    • Acoustics: Idle = 2.7 bels, Seek = 2.9 bels

The ST31000340NS is an enterprise grade drive (RAID, NAS,...).
    • Nonrecoverable Read Errors per Bits Read = 1 sector per 10E15
    • The MTBF = 1,200,000 hrs
    • Acoustics: Idle = 2.7 bels, Seek = Not Listed

If you need the higher duty cycle, the enterprise drive is the way to go. Usually, they are only standard on servers.

Acoustics should be nearly identical between the two models.

Hope this helps. :)

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

A harddrive that doesnt make sound? not happening, at least without being solid state.

As for the difference in the drives honestly I doubt your going to see a difference. The more expensive one just looks like its built more durable (unless there is something I missed) but any seagate drive is usually great and comes with a 5 year warranty. Seagate is also more quiet then most drives (trust me I have hundreds of different drives in my office of all types :) )

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

No, I've never heard of a silent mechanical HDD either. ;)
    1 bel = 10 dB, so in this case:
    2.7 bel = 27 dB
    2.9 bel = 29 dB

I should have converted the units. Sorry. :eek:

Yeah, the real difference is the MTBF, which is just a fancy way to say a longer working life before it's toast. :D :p

5. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

I need just for store music... so I think that first one of $171 its ok right? the more expensive I think that is not necessary... I dont need for server or something...

6. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I use non-enterprise class drives in my Mac and my NAS - no problem. I cant justify the expense over the domestic units. At the end of the day if you want a little more piece of mind then go with the enterprise unit, if you dont then get the normal every day one.

7. atakordie macrumors member

8. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

dude, save some money (and the environment lol) and get a Western Digital GP 1TB for $150 from newegg.com. These are great drives and perfect for just storing media.

9. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I installed the same drive (bought from Fry's for $159) last week. It's decently quiet in my MP, but not "silent", as no drive is.

For what it's worth, I like Seagate SATA drives. I have 4x500gb drives in a RAID box, two 1TB drives in separate machines, and a 750 in another. All are performing like champs.

10. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Totally. And isn't that the whole point of RAID, which stands for "Redundant Array of inexpensive disks"? If one fails, pop in a few one.

I have 4x500gb Seagate SATAs (consumer grade) in my ReadyNAS.

11. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think that seagate is better but well maybe are the same, my mac pro comes with a segate of 500gb so... for keep the brand line hehe...

thanks guys, for the help¡¡¡¡

12. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

by the way... http://www.newegg.com are good for buy electronics????, I buy on amazon.. but I see a lot people that say newegg.com...

13. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Newegg is definitely the place to get great deals.
    and if something happens, definitely a quick turnaround.

the only problem i see with amazon, is sometimes your not directly buying from 'Amazon', your buying from a vendor on amazon and sometimes it can be tricky to know what your getting unless its directly says from Amazon Warehouse etc.

(from my experience, buying & selling via amazon)

but newegg, has all sorts of great choices IMHO, the Samsung Spinpoint is another recommended drive:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152102

through im a Western Digital person myself, however they dont seem to have the AAKS series with a 1TB model. I like that series alot personally.

if not newegg, try another trusted vendor on this forum: macsales.com
    they test practically most of the hardware against the machines you want to run them on and give excellent tips and advice for it aswell.

14. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Newegg is excellent. I've bought tons of gear from them and never had a problem, even with open-box/refurb items.

15. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

16. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Has anyone seen the new 1.5 TB Seagate for sale anywhere? I still can't find it even though they claimed to ship in August...

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

I found plenty of articles announcing the 1.5TB Seagate, but I can't find any sellers yet either. :(
    Hmm... Let me guess... slightly delayed because the ship sank! :D :p

18. xgman macrumors 601

xgman