Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I've got nothing against the pure 256GB SSD solution either. It's all about your personal needs.

256GB internal storage wasn't enough for me and the 512GB SSD was entirely out of my budget. I absolutely wanted the speed of SSD so the Fusion Drive was the best choice for me.

As is mentioned in a similar thread on this debate, the failure rate of SSD vs HDD turns out to be much closer than most people think, moving parts or not. It's just that SSD is a far newer technology.

What did you need 512GB of internal storage for? :)

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
What did you need 512GB of internal storage for? :)

I didn't say I needed 512Gb, just that 256GB wasn't enough. :p

I have a lot of apps, some I use more frequently than others. I could probably get my Macintosh HD down to about 280-300GB if I put it on a massive diet and really did some cleaning but as I mentioned, I went with the Fusion alternative instead.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
I didn't say I needed 512Gb, just that 256GB wasn't enough. :p

I have a lot of apps, some I use more frequently than others. I could probably get my Macintosh HD down to about 280-300GB if I put it on a massive diet and really did some cleaning but as I mentioned, I went with the Fusion alternative instead.

How many apps do you have? I have a pretty normal iMac with about 150 apps and my internal SSD is using 68GB of space, 23GB of which is a VM image. So I have all of my OS and apps etc fitting in 45GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.