Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Look at it this way: is 1-2TB going to be all the storage you'll ever need? If you're doing wordprocessing, email, snapshots and cat videos from your iPhone then, probably, yes, and an iMac with 1TB inside will do you proud (even the 24GB 'Fusion' will probably be enough to give you fast boot and application loaded goodness).

If you're doing serious amateur photography, video that lasts longer than it takes to say "meow!" or build up a substantial movie library then heck, no, you're going to burn through 1TB in a year or less: you're going to need some sort of additional storage, whatever happens.

If you think about it, would you rather have a fixed, limited amount of storage inside your machine, or be able to flexibly mix and match external and network storage as the need arose? Sure, having storage built in to the machine means that all your photos and movies go where your machine goes... unfortunately that includes going with your machine if it has to be repaired. It also means that you have to take your machine anywhere you want to take your data... as opposed to simply grabbing a tiny external HD. Or, if you have several computers in the house, you could also look at a NAS.

In a way, having lots of internal storage is more of an issue for a laptop (which you'll want to carry around) than for a desktop (where having your data transportable by sneakernet is an advantage - never underestimate the bandwidth of a briefcase full of hard drives).

USB 2 and Firewire used to be the bottleneck there - the only way to get really fast transfer was to use an internal drive and hook up via a parallel cable. Now we have USB3 and Thunderbolt - both faster than any single mechanical hard drive. Even Ethernet is now gigabit, and WiFi is far faster than it was, so networked mass storage is feasible for anything short of large video projects.

So, I think with an iMac I'd keep it spinning-rust free and go for a 256 or 512GB SSD - enough for the system, your software and your 'work in progress' projects, and supplement it with external storage as needed. Of course, you'll need an external drive for backup anyhow (ideally 2: one Time Machine backup for accidental deletions, one complete disc image for disaster recovery).

and the second backup 'off site'

hifimacianer

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2015
Germany
I'm mostly finished configuring my new riMac but I'm trying to figure out the best storage option for my usage. I'm primarily going to be using it to edit photos (I shoot with a 36mp camera so raw files can be huge, FWIW), and probably some light gaming.

My question is, does it make more sense to go with the Fusion drive and keep everything on board, or get the SSD, and keep all of my photos (and music and video files) on a 2TB usb drive? I'm okay bumping my budget slightly but I don't think I could really justify the cost of the 1TB SSD, and I'm going to need at least that in total storage.

I wouldn't buy a Mac with a spinning HD today. Even if Fusion gives you almost SSD speeds, most of your data is still stored on a spinning HD with all of it's downsides. I would always go with the SSD only Option, even with the smallest 256GB Option, and expand my storage with external HDs. SSDs for data where you need the Speed, and spinning HDs for "other" data (maybe on a NAS?). You can even use cheap USB 3 enclousers for external SSDs (without losing speed), if they support UASP - so there is no need to buy expensive thunderbolt gear.

Reactions: deany

hifimacianer

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2015
Germany
Do you have a specific recommendation for an external thunderbolt flash drive?
There is no need to buy expensive TB SSD-drives, if you don't want to set up a SSD-RAID.
Buy a 15$ UASP capable USB 3 enclousure, and a Samsung Evo 850 SSD and you will be more than happy.

looking4anotebo

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
While there are some benefits to 256Gb SSD vs Fusion Drive if you can manage the size - heat is not one of them. The SSD is actually hotter than the HDD in an iMac. I have tested this on several configurations. Also, HDD and SSD are rarely used simultaniously so the temperature is almost identical to a pure SSD iMac.

I would go for a 2Tb Fusion Drive myself, but - as I said - the 256Gb SSD is a fine choice and I think it's quite enough for most things other than media storage. So go for that. Just don't think FD adds to heat - it doesn't. Fusion Drive is, actually, quite a nice piece of technology!

Great post. I was worried about longevity but if there is no added heat I think I will go with Fusion.

Reactions: aevan

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
This SSD v FD arguement seems a bit pointless.

Reading this-
http://ocz.com/consumer/ssd-guide/ssd-vs-hdd

SSD will be standard in a few years time. Spinning obsolete. So dont we need to plan for the future.?

I'm sure it will be the standard in a few years time too, which will be a big factor in what we buy - in a few years. But today, there is still a big cost difference that makes the decision much more difficult.

Reactions: AppleFan360

blueeggs

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
I got the 1tb fusion 5k version on the 19th. I didn't realize that it only had 24 gig ssd. seem very fast except for waking from sleep. I think it is due to the small ssd. I can get the 2tb fusion model for 2099 plus tax with my military discount. I think I'm going to take it in tomorrow. On my nmp I only have 55 gig of my 256 gig drive full. So I think that the 128 gig ssd size will be good and the drive will last longer because it won't be full all the time. I store all my big files on external drives.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
I got the 1tb fusion 5k version on the 19th. I didn't realize that it only had 24 gig ssd. seem very fast except for waking from sleep. I think it is due to the small ssd. I can get the 2tb fusion model for 2099 plus tax with my military discount. I think I'm going to take it in tomorrow. On my nmp I only have 55 gig of my 256 gig drive full. So I think that the 128 gig ssd size will be good and the drive will last longer because it won't be full all the time. I store all my big files on external drives.

How many seconds does it take to wake up from sleep please? Cheers!

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden

If you only use 55 GB of your 256 GB SSD on your nMP, why are you choosing the Fusion Drive instead of going pure 256 GB SSD? :eek:

blueeggs

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
agreed get the larger SSD & use external USB 3 SSD with a housing.
I guess I wanted to go to the Apple Store and pick it up. The pure ssd model is only build to order, correct? I have a late 2012 Mac mini i7 server with 8tb of storage that I share between my macs.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I'm almost certain you are limited to non-SSD imacs 'off the shelf'.

As I'm sure you know, often the best things in life are worth waiting for. I'd recommend the 512GB if poss to allow for the future.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I guess I wanted to go to the Apple Store and pick it up. The pure ssd model is only build to order, correct? I have a late 2012 Mac mini i7 server with 8tb of storage that I share between my macs.

Wouldn't suggest getting the Fusion Drive for anyone really. You'll still end up with a spinning HDD part in your computer which 1) will make computer louder, 2) will generate more heat, 3) will get slower with time.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Wouldn't suggest getting the Fusion Drive for anyone really. You'll still end up with a spinning HDD part in your computer which 1) will make computer louder, 2) will generate more heat, 3) will get slower with time.
Oh come on. That argument is getting tired and old. A pure SSD system is great but it's not for everyone and it sure as heck doesn't necessarily mean the computer will run hot and slow.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Oh come on. That argument is getting tired and old. A pure SSD system is great but it's not for everyone and it sure as heck doesn't necessarily mean the computer will run hot and slow.

Regarding running hot; No maybe not by much, but still hotter.

Regarding running slow; It most certainly will run much slower in a year or two. Spinning hard drives gets slower and slower with time. The risk of failure is also much higher than a SSD so the expected lifespan of a HDD is much lower. There's just no getting around it. I'm not sure where you're getting your information from but it "sure as heck" is a very bad idea to get a HDD in a computer today 2015.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008

Regarding running slow; It most certainly will run much slower in a year or two. Spinning hard drives gets slower and slower with time. The risk of failure is also much higher than a SSD so the expected lifespan of a HDD is much lower. There's just no getting around it. I'm not sure where you're getting your information from but it "sure as heck" is a very bad idea to get a HDD in a computer today 2015.

Look, nothing is going to change your mind and I sure as heck don't want to talk in circles with you. All that needs to be said is that it's a personal choice and SSD's sure as heck aren't the end all-be all of storage options. They can fail for any number of reasons just like a spinning HDD. Also, some don't like to increase their desktop footprint with external drives all over the place. Again, personal choice.

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota

Look, nothing is going to change your mind and I sure as heck don't want to talk in circles with you. All that needs to be said is that it's a personal choice and SSD's sure as heck aren't the end all-be all of storage options. They can fail for any number of reasons just like a spinning HDD. Also, some don't like to increase their desktop footprint with external drives all over the place. Again, personal choice.

I have a couple of floppy drives & an Iomega 200MB Zip drive you guys can haggle over........:oops:

Choices....

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden

Of course, it's personal preference if you want to keep your media on the same computer. That doesn't change the fact that HDDs degrade in speed with each month it's used, nor does it change the fact that HDDs are more likely to fail. Of course SSDs can fail too, it's just less likely.

You're all free to choose whatever storage for your computers as you want but I think you're misleading people by saying that my argument is getting "tired and old" since my argument is purely based on facts, meanwhile you're saying that HDDs won't run hotter nor slower which is actually false.

And if you actually read my first post that you started quoting, I never said that SSDs are the end all-be of storage options. I said that I would never suggest anyone to get regular HDDs (nor Fusion Drive) because it's a storage option that likely will die out in the near future except for large storage-solutions (e.g. NAS) - due to the reasons I've already posted several times.

Bottom line: Choose whatever you want and that fits your workflow - just keep in mind that SSDs will be more reliable, faster and run cooler (not to mention quieter).

Cody1992

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015

I am sorry but no, the only reason this is an argument here is because it's an iMac and you can't easily replace the internal drives. I honestly don't know where you store all of your files, but I assume it's on external HDDs.
Shout out to the tens of millions of people who have been using internal HDDs for years. Like I have... on several computers... that are still working today... I understand that SSDs can outlive HDDs, but the other way around could turn out to be true. There are many hard drives that will as previously mentioned, outlast the usefulness of the CPU and GPU itself.

Reactions: AppleFan360

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
I am sorry but no, the only reason this is an argument here is because it's an iMac and you can't easily replace the internal drives. I honestly don't know where you store all of your files, but I assume it's on external HDDs.
Shout out to the tens of millions of people who have been using internal HDDs for years. Like I have... on several computers... that are still working today... I understand that SSDs can outlive HDDs, but the other way around could turn out to be true. There are many hard drives that will as previously mentioned, outlast the usefulness of the CPU and GPU itself.
the original 512GB 7200RPM HDD is still running strong in my late 2007 iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.