1TB hard drive, Partition or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nonamelive, Sep 21, 2010.

1. nonamelive macrumors member

nonamelive

I'm going to buy an iMac with 1TB hard drive. I'm currently using a MacBook Pro with 320GB hard drive, and I haven't partitioned it yet. Is 1TB too big to be one partition? How do you guys partition your hard drive. Thanks in advance. Any help would be appreciated.:)

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you're only using OS X, then there isn't really any reason to partition it.

3. Sheeds macrumors member

Sheeds

No need for a partition if you're just using Mac OS. But if you wanted to install WIndows you'd use Bootcamp, which will partition for you. Otherwise, Disk Utility will satisfy your partitioning needs.

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i have a 2tb (time machine) that's not partitioned. i don't see a reason to partition unless you need to.

5. nonamelive thread starter macrumors member

nonamelive

Thank you for the advise. Is the backup process complicated when I want to reinstall the operating system on a single partition hard drive? Do I need to move all my media files to an external hard drive to do a fresh install. Thanks!

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I want to reinstall the operating system on a single partition hard drive? Do I need to move all my media files to an external hard drive to do a fresh install. Thanks!"

I use the same partitioning scheme on my own Macs.

I find that by keeping the System files, applications and a slimmed-down home folder on a separate, smaller-sized partition, the computer runs faster and that the smaller partition is easier to keep backed up.

I then segregate data into other partitions based upon its importance. Again, this makes it easy to backup the important things, while leaving other stuff I consider to be non-important on a partition that doesn't get backed up.

If you want, you can also create a "second boot partition" of small size (under 20gig will do), and install a clean copy of the OS to it, along with a few utilities. If you do this, you can "switch boot" off the single drive -- great for if the main boot partition has a problem.