1TB Hard drives for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dimme, Jul 12, 2009.

1. dimme macrumors 65816

I am looking at getting 2- 1Tb hard drives for my 2008 MacPro. I always liked WD harddrives. I was thinking og getting the Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive. I not sure of the new IntelliPower because the drive spins between 5400k and 7200. Anyone have any input on these drives?

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I wouldn't get them. And I'm assuming you mean 1 terabyte drives, and not 1 gigabyte. They are too slow. I'd get a more high performance drive.

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Might help if you change the title to TB instead of GB people might actually stop and answer.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You should change your topic to read 1TB.

I would recommend the Western Digital.

5. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

Hahaha...:D well put.

6. dimme thread starter macrumors 65816

Any recommendations?

7. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

1TB Caviar Black have a very good rep these days.

Planning on RAIDing those 2 drives together?

Loa

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I have 4 of the 1TB WD Caviar Blacks inside the Pro and 4 of the 1TB WD Green's for bulk storage in a RAID array externally.

9. cube macrumors G5

I got the 2TB Caviar Green for an external case. It is very silent and should run very cool. I cannot tell you about the performance because I was bottlenecked by the Cube CPU. Maybe if there were a 2TB Black already I would have got that instead (even if the 1TB Black rattles quite a bit while seeking).

Here you can see how the 2TB Green compares to the 1TB Black (and the 1.5TB Seagate):

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/01/27/review_internal_hard_drive_wd_caviar_green_2tb/

10. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Myself and others have had very good experience with Samsung drives; the 1 TB drives use a speedy, cool, reliable 3-platter design.

11. doox00 macrumors regular

I have had good luck with seagates as well, have half a dozen of them in my computers here at home. Also have hitachi's and western digital, all have performed nicely.

12. Fornothingelse macrumors newbie

I have two 1TB Western Digital drives in my 2008 Mac Pro and have had no problems. I just purchased a 2TB Western Digital drive a couple of weeks ago and have been getting disk errors lately. But I would definitely recommend the 1TB drives!

13. hehejames macrumors member

Yeah... on your Hackingtosh!

14. doox00 macrumors regular

Again you go out of your way to attack me, in two seperate threads. Get over it, many people run osx on non apple hardware ever since macs started using pc hardware. Once I can 1. afford a mac pro 2. they lower the price on one I will purchase genuine apple hardware, until then my current osx machine performs up to par with many mac pros and I will continue to use it. stop thread crapping and go away.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

YO! What's your problem? There is NOTHING wrong with having a Hackintosh (there is no "g").

Not only do we allow discussion here, it is NOT illegal if you buy your own copy of Leopard. End of story. Leave him alone.

16. doox00 macrumors regular

thank you for the backup! :) Dunno what this guys problem is....

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm using 3x 1TB Caviar Blacks as backup drives, and am really happy with them. The seek noise doesn't bother me (fans are louder), but YMMV. ;)

18. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

He's trying to beat the record for the most people that have him on ignore.

Take solace: you're not a particular target.

Loa

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Thought I had that record... :(

Oh, and how's the ol' tried 'n' true veryfirst1TBdriveoutthere Hitachi drive as a Time Machine drive?

20. dimme thread starter macrumors 65816

To anyone using the WD Black drives in a MacPro. Do the drives get very hot or the the MacPro do a good job of cooling them.
    Thanks

21. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

Mine is fast and runs cool. All of my drives are WD, and they have been very quiet and reliable.

22. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

I have Hitachi drives in mine and have zero problems with them. I have 5 now. Not the speediest but reliable.

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

Mine don't run hot at all. The worst they get is about 40C, which is more than adequate.

55C is usually considered the upper limit before hitting the panic switch (alarm settings on RAID enclosures). :p