1TB Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by PodPacker, Jan 29, 2008.

1. PodPacker macrumors regular

PodPacker

Does anyone have a mac pro with the 1TB drive? I have been looking for these elusive 32MB Cache 1TB drives, but I keep coming across conflicting information. A brand and model number for the drive would be great. I'm running out of space fast. :eek:

2. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

Just got 5 Seagate ES.2 1TB delivered today. Still waiting for MP to be shipped though :(

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why five? One'll just sit there. Unless you're a swapper! :p

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You can put the fifth one where the second optical drive goes.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Truth. Not many know this, though, and I assumed he didn't. I suppose Nute Gunray said it best, "Youuuu assuuuuuume tooo muuuuuch..."

6. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

7. PodPacker thread starter macrumors regular

PodPacker

Seagate? Really?

What about all those reports about bad Seagate drives? I'm a little weary about buying drives from them. Are those the standard issue Mac Pro drives? I found some 32MB cache drive at MCE, but they are $440.00 each. Seems pricey. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys for this info, especially for that tid-bit about the 5th space. Though I planned on using that as second optical to rip 2 at a time.

8. kdb31 macrumors member

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I've just got one and it is an extremely fast and quiet drive for the price. No complaints with the Samsungs.

10. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

I've got a couple of Hitachi 7K1000 1TB SATA drives in my G5. Has anyone used these in the Mac Pro. Presumably shouldn't be any problems?

11. rds macrumors regular

I have a couple of Samsung F1s waiting in the wings.

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Nope, shouldn't be a problem at all.

13. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

$440 each??!!! I paid 310 for the 1TB ES.2 (7,200 rpm 32MB cache, enterprise class) You can get the 7,200.11 baracuda for only $275. OEM drives of course, but why pay retail for the box and cables that you don't need?

14. PodPacker thread starter macrumors regular

PodPacker

Thanks guys

So, after you guys pointed me in the right direction, I've finally settled it to 3 models to choose from.

Seagate: ST31000340AS

Hitachi: HUA721010KLA330 and HDS721010KLA330

I am a Western Digital fanboy, but there is no 32MB cache drive from WD.

The specs on Samsung drive (ready time and read/write) seem awful compared to these drives. If they are a great deal cheaper I may opt for it. I hope that this thread helps others.

Thanks again. :)

15. rds macrumors regular

The access times are not that great but for read/write throughput performance, they beat them all. (Read some reviews, not the technical spec sheets. ;))

16. BajaBurrito macrumors newbie

I ordered the 1 TB drive upgrade with my new Mac Pro and it shipped with a Hitachi 7K1000 (HDS721010KLA330). Not sure if that should influence anyone's decision, but thought I'd throw it out there.

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

When given the chance, I always buy Samsung products, they simply can't be beat. The one Samsung hard drive I bought was the quietest desktop drive I've ever owned, and (when not reading or writing) quite possibly quieter then a laptop drive.

18. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I'm using 2 Western Digital 'Green Power' 1TB Drives for general media storage, so far they're working great. I'm not sure what the performance is like for use as a primary boot volume, but for media storage they're fantastic - exceptionally quiet with lower power consumption (on paper anyway, I haven't actually measured power consumption myself)

19. kdb31 macrumors member

Heres an article discussing the WD Green drives and Seagate :)
    http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3161

20. faumble macrumors regular

Whats the difference btw this ES.2 and the 7200.11??
    Thanks!:D

21. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

ES.2 is enterprise class, has higher MTBF, better power management, better error control, more reliable for 24/7 use. Unfortunately, I think it does not have NCQ !!??

22. DH Miller macrumors newbie

1 TB Hard drives

Did you consider the WD Enterprise 750 SATAs? I was planning to go with two of those, giving up the extra space. Speed and acoustic noise are the top priorities (video editing/animation). Any comparisons you know of?
    best.
    d

23. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

No, I didn't consider it (both the RE2 and RE2-GP), reason?
    - smaller capacity, I wanted 1 TB
    - 16 MB cache vs 32 MB
    - Maximum PC did a comparison amongst Hitachi, WD and Seagate (7200.11 not the enterprise version) 1 TB drives and gave the nod to Seagate as the fastest. Hitachi was the slowest due to smallest areal density (it uses 4 platters instead of 3)

24. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

You may want to check your numbers. The Hitachi uses 5 platters and the Seagate and WD's use 4. The Samsungs use 3... and they are the fastest.

25. faumble macrumors regular

thanks! what is MTBF ad NCQ? could you pls tell me the differences btw these hds? thx in advance