1tb hd in 2010 macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JBG87, May 12, 2011.

1. JBG87 macrumors member

can i put a 1tb hd in my 2010 macbook...i see youtube videos of it fitting in a 2010 13" pro but none about the white mb

i have the 250 5400 rpm stock hd...if i could do 1tb no problems, would the 1tb 5400 rpm be the same in terms of speed...or would a 750 7200 rpm be of any difference?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Don't do a 1TB laptop drive. Generally, bleeding edge hard drive technologies are unstable and fail easily, so you never want to get the largest hard drive available.

We installed one for a customer, even recommending against it, and it's already been replaced three times in the past six months.

3. Insomnica macrumors newbie

I've got a 1TB Macbook, link follows to original thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1108184

Had it since February of this year, so far no complaints besides Mac OS producing a higher amount of problems with it's B-Tree structure due to size.

Detrius is quite right in the warning, though.

You're going to get a higher amount of problems such as bad blocks and inconsistencies with thread count, but if you take care of your FS you shouldn't have major problems.

Anyway, my opinion would be to do it if you've got the cash and the need to store large amounts of data internally (I use quite a lot of data with some software projects so externally storing the data wasn't viable), but otherwise, grab yourself a 1/2/3TB external.