1TB Internal Storage for Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Whitelightning, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Whitelightning macrumors regular

2. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

I don't understand what is so special or why you posted a 1TB 2.5" SATA drive. There are others out. Most people dont care about the relatively high gb/$ price of a SSD because of the increased performance and speed it brings about. Not sure what there is to discuss here.

3. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

As far as 1tb portable drives go, your choice is as good as any. Personally, I use a 240GB SSD and a FireWire 800 external drive for extra storage.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get 750GB 7200rpm drive instead. 1TB 2.5" drives are made of three ~333GB platters while 750GB drives are made of two 375GB platters so they are denser plus spin at higher rpm.

5. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

Mixed reviews on Newegg. Of course half of them are from idiots that didn't realize it's 12.5mm thick and doesn't fit.

I know there's a tag at the end of the article you cite:

I'd like to know if 12.5mm is a "snug" fit on the 2011 MBP's.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Has worked fine in older 13" MBPs and the design in the new one is exactly same so I can't see why it wouldn't work.

7. magbarn macrumors 68000

It is a snug fit, and I'm with Hellhammer with this one, get the 750gb 7200rpm WD black drive. Its much faster than even the Momentus XT unless you're running the same apps/data again and again. I tried out both WD 1tb drive and the samsung. They were slow as hell as main drives in my previous 2010 MBP 15. I'd only use them in an external enclosure for backup (which I believe what these were primarily designed for) or if you had a SSD in the optibay to pair up with these drives.

8. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

Yes, it's snug in the older units and I know they work fine.

I just wasn't sure if Apple magically found a few extra mm in the 2011 drive bay without having to retool the unibody plants.