1TB Little Big Disk Thunderbolt wont mount, making hissing sounds!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrkinish, Dec 5, 2013.

1. mrkinish macrumors newbie

Hiya,

I'm Having problems mounting my 1TB little Big Disk Thunderbolt series External Hard Drive.

I'm using a late 2010 15' macbook pro, 2.66GHz, i7, OSX 10.6.8

It appears that from the box that i have the minimum system requirements.

all I hear upon connecting it is a faint hissing sound, no light, and it doesn't show in Disk Utility??

It does work however on a slightly newer 13' macbook pro with no issues?

If there is any one out there who could shed light on this situation, it would be greatly appreciated!

Apologies in advance if i'm being a complete noob!

Thanks

M

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Don't worry about appearing un-knowledgeable, none of us have all the answers. What I'd want to know is, how are you connecting your 1TB little Big Disk Thunderbolt External Drive, that only has TB connections, to your 2010 15' macbook pro, that doesn't sport TB ports? (MBPs didn't get TB connectivity till Feb 2011)

Are you by any chance using that TB to FW adapter, cause that won't work. Those adapters only work the other way around, ie to hook up a FW drive to a Mac's TB port.

3. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I think you are trying to connect a thunderbolt drive to a mini displayport. Macs didn't get thunderbolt until 2011. The two ports look identical. The thunderbolt port will even serve as a mini displayport, but not the other way around.

4. mrkinish thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep that sounds like the right answer ! It's the mini display port that I am hooking it up to!

Is there any such device that can make it happen ? Or perhaps the possibility of switching over the mini display port with thunderbolt port on my MBP

Once again Thankyou for you time on this !

M

5. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Sorry, I don't think you can upgrade your 2010 machine to thunderbolt, there are too many things stopping you like the chipset, firmware, processor capabilities, and OS X will probably reject it even if you could manage to get it in there.

6. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

There's unfortunately no way to use that TB drive with your 2010 MBP. Hang on to that little LaCie; whether you have the until recently available 1TB HDD version, or the 1TB SSD unit, it'll be a nice little drive if and when you upgrade that 2010 MBP to a newer version that has TB ports.

In the meantime you could pick up a more reasonably priced FW800 drive, or even a FW + USB3 unit, such as this one http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10553
    or this one http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10554, or any similar unit, in which case you'd have the speed advantage of USB3, once you upgrade your laptop.