1TB OWC is going very slow through FW 800

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joejoejoe, Apr 5, 2009.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

EDIT2: AHH!! Now I'm getting an error -36 that not all the files in iPhone Library can be read/written!!!
    What should I do??

EDIT: bought the HD, now I'm having problems with it:

Thanks for all the input guys. I opted to get a 1TB OWC and have backed up my most important files in several places should anything happen to this drive.

When transferring about 50GB in filed from my OWC to a Windows XP comp through USB 2.0, it worked pretty well, about 45-60 minutes for the whole transfer. Thumbs up here.

Right now I'm copying my iPhoto library from my Mac to my OWC and the dialogue box says it should take about 3-6 hours. My library is 30GB. What's up with this? Am I doing something wrong here??

********************************************************************************
    I need to buy a 1TB external this weekend.

My main requirements are:

1) Reliability
    2) Firewire 800
    3) Speed

From what people have told me, western digital and the g-tech g-drive are the best ways to go. From the reviews I've read online, both brands have tendencies to fail.

I will be doing film editing and keeping photo storage on this hard drive. It is imperative that it does not fail. Since I'll be doing so much editing I need speed also.

Please help me find the right one. I also don't want to spend 250+.

If you guys could get back to me by the end of this weekend I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Jon

2. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

3. TheJayWay macrumors member

I have the 250gb version of this drive and its been rock solid for me so far (1.5 yrs and counting) My only complaint with this series of drive is I have my computer gear in my room at college and the blue led is blindingly bright when i'm trying to sleep, thankfully a screwdriver and 5 minutes and i was lightless again.

4. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

Hey that is not a bad idea. The light bothers me too. You seemed to find it very easy. Is there anything I should be aware of before opening it up? Also will I be able to easily replace the light if need be?

5. CTechKid macrumors regular

If reliability is your #1 concern then buying a single external drive is silly. You can do all the research in the world to try and pick a manufacturer who's drive will rarely fail, but at the end of the day its all moot. Sensitive data should always have redundancy in place.

I recommend you buy one of these. They are fabulous.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/usb/raid_1/Gmax

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I just bought a g-drive quad interface drive from ebay and love it. Its been in use for about three years (I think) but I couldn't care less about the hard drive, since i'm going to replace it with a larger drive. I got it way less than what macally or OWC were asking for an empty enclosure.

Slow USB or even eSATA based drives are available at $100/tb so there's really no excuse to not have a backup. Losing a days worth of work sucks but with mechanical drives its always a possibility.

7. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

If I could throw my 2 cents in: I have one of these and one of these. I added OEM drives I purchased from Newegg and am completely happy with this arrangement.

**I know you have a FW800 requirement and neither of the enclosures I pointed out have it.**

My point was that the build quality of OWC's bare enclosures is top notch. You could save yourself some money going the route of adding your own hard drives.

8. 929406 macrumors regular

any model from these guys will do the job for you, I have one myself and bought a couple for friends and all love them. I have had no issues with speed and reliability and they match the appearance of my mac.

www.stardom.com.tw

9. Mac In School macrumors 65816

^ What he said!

If you can't afford to lose the data, don't have it only in one place. Period.

However, it's a catch 22 with a RAID drive. Especially for FCP video editing. You want speed, which is RAID 0 (striped). But you also want redundancy, which is RAID 1 (mirrored). I hope I didn't mix up the numbers. I do that sometime.

For my slow data storage stuff, I use a mirrored RAID drive. LaCie 2bigTriple.

For my video editing scratch disk, I use a speedy striped RAID drive. GRaid2. However, I backup all my scratch disk stuff to an online backup service (iDrive).

For Time Machine backups of my main drive, I use a Seagate. They're cheap, have a 5-year warranty, and I'm willing to gamble on both of them not dying at the same time.

I hope this helps.

10. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the input guys. I opted to get a 1TB OWC and have backed up my most important files in several places should anything happen to this drive.

When transferring about 50GB in filed from my OWC to a Windows XP comp through USB 2.0, it worked pretty well, about 45-60 minutes for the whole transfer. Thumbs up here.

Right now I'm copying my iPhoto library from my Mac to my OWC and the dialogue box says it should take about 5 hours. My library is 30GB. What's up with this? Am I doing something wrong here??