1TB Raid0 in a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reao, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Reao macrumors member

I am looking at putting a MCE OptiBay Hard Drive in my MacBook Pro and fill it and my 100GB HD with 2 500 GB HD. my question is more on the MCE OptiBay. who all have done this and can i hear what you like and do not like abut it. i am wondering abut how loud it will be, how hot it will make my MacBook and if my book will go back together flush and not even tell that there are 2 HDs in it. i know i will loss abut 15% Battery life, i dont really care abut that my battery only hold 60M charge anyway. any help you guys can give me would be grate.

2. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Do you really need 1TB internal on a laptop?
    I'm not sure if it will sit flush although i'd imagine it'd be fine but it's going to be louder, hotter and a real power-hog..

Personally i'd opt for a 2 drive FW800 caddy or eSata through your express34 slot.

3. Reao thread starter macrumors member

Well i dont really need the 1TB but i need more then the 100GB i have and i dont wont to have to deal with have more cords and stuff when im on the go so i am looking abut putting a latest a 200GB HD in it, so i was thinking if im already opening it up why not jest or all the way and put as much as i can in it.
    http://echeng.com/journal/2007/04/26/320gb-striped-array-raid-0-macbook-pro/ this is where i saw it first and i was really wondering if it sits flush now that its ben our for some time.

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

RAID 0 would have to be done in software since the MBP chipset doesn't support it. That is going to affect performance.

Also, with RAID 0, if one of the drives suffers a problem, all your data is lost and irrecoverable (without professional help at extreme cost, and even then...). Since you're using portable drives in a portable machine, the chances of a problem occurring is much higher.

Personally, I'd recommend you do what I did - put in a 320-500GB HDD to replace the existing HDD in the machine and then use external storage to back-up data and/or store data that I don't need to have on my MBP when I am on the road.

5. unitysong macrumors newbie

Great advice!

On top of the software RAID you'd have one drive on SATA and the other on PATA, I can't imagine that being efficient. Storage is nutty cheap right now, i.e. $110 for 320GB if you went with a larger single internal drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136197

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I like this concept! (not the raid, just an extra drive bay!) My Superdrive is dead anyway. I too would like to hear from anyone who has installed this device.

Here it is...

http://www.macworld.com/article/58673/2007/06/optibay.html

Cheers,

7. Reao thread starter macrumors member

i know i have to software raid my book but will it really be that much of a differences in performances and wont having that 1TB to work with make up for it. and i know i have more of a chances of lousing all of my stuff with it like that but with time machine i am not concerned abut that.

8. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Wow, what that guy did was pretty cool. Probably wouldn't do it for myself since I use the optical drive so much though.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I use my MBP in workstation mode.

I wonder if an external 1tb Raid 0/0+1 over firewire 800 will yield faster gains than the stock internal...or a single 7200 on a SATA II interface....