Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoonshineSG

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Internal 1TB Sata III for Macbook Pro 2011 (for the OptiBay, as a compleent to a Vertex 3 IOPS Max). Do they exist? If yes, what brand is it and what kind is are reviews like ?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
The only 1 TB drives on the market that would fit in the optibay are SATA II, which is fine, given that there is no platter drive on the market that can even saturate a SATA II interface. Make sure you get one that is 9.5mm height, not 12.5, which will not fit in the optibay.

MoonshineSG

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
from the above, I understand that no 1TB HDD is able to provide enough read/write speed to justify a 6Gb interface (or even3GB ?) ... My only option is to get a drive that fits the physical space... Am I right?

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
from the above, I understand that no 1TB HDD is able to provide enough read/write speed to justify a 6Gb interface (or even3GB ?)

Yes, at the current time.

... My only option is to get a drive that fits the physical space... Am I right?
Not necessarily. A Velociraptor may fit, but it needs a 12V line which your laptop doesn't have. Normal 2.5" HDDs up to 9.5mm will work fine in the ODD space (and up to 12.7mm in the regular HDD spot).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.