Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL
I have a 7,1 Mac Pro with an Apple 1TB SSD boot drive which I'll be upgrading to an Apple 8TB SSD boot drive. Each SSD works with the Apple T2 chipset.

I'll be using a Mid-2015 Retina 15" Macbook Pro to do the configuration for the 7,1 after the new SSD is physically installed.

Apple says to use a USB-C to USB-C cable, but of course the Macbook doesn't have a USB-C port; it has two Thunderbolt 2 ports, and two USB 3 ports and an HDMI port.

I have an HP USB 3.0 to USB-C cable. Will this cable work with the Configurator app?

If not, what cable do I need?

Thank you in advance,

Tom

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL
Wow! 199 views and no responses...

It was a "learning experience."

The cable turned out OK. The biggest problem was trying to get my data and users back since Monterey doesn't allow backing up the system disk. After about ten hours of error and error including trying Time Machine which somehow didn't want to cooperate, it turns out the saving grace was Carbon Copy Cloner. That, and learning that CCC didn't seem able to restore what I needed from the prior boot disk, but Migration Assistant did. It took the CCC backup and restored it. Who woulda thunk?

Anyway, all's well...

Tom

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Sorry just saw this post, yes I used a TB2 macbook , TB2 cable, TB3adapter to restore a modern macbook with apple configurator so it works...

I am told you can still make a bootable clone of monterey with ccc by right clicking the target drive and choosing legacy mode but i have not done it yet. I made a time machine backup, clean installed and migrated from that but ill try it next time !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.