1TB SSD vs MacMini with Fusion Drive Dilema

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by LeandrodaFL, Oct 30, 2012.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Currently, I have a MacMini 2010 core duo 2 2.4ghz with m320 graphics and 750GB HDD. I want to upgrade it to 1TB SSD, and apparenly my only option is a OWC 1TB SSD for $1200

But with $1200 I can get a NEW high-end MacMini 2012 with quad-core ivy bridge, intel HD4000 and 1TB Fusion Drive and 16GB of memory

But I LOVE Snow Leopard and I happen to use the optical drive all the time for playing home made DVDs....

What do I do??????

2. teohyc macrumors regular

teohyc

Get the Fusion plus external DVD player. You'll save more.
    1TB SSD is a bit extreme unless you do a lot of read and writes constantly.

3. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Get a new Mini as teohyc suggested.

If you have apps you need to use on Snow Leopard keep the Snow Leopard machine for running those apps. Maybe even put a low capacity SSD in the old Mac Mini and hook up an external HDD. The old mini would be quite useful as a HTPC or a secondary machine.

4. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

5. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

Ten minutes of searching on google and you will have Snow Leopard working on the 2012 mini...

PM me if you need some files patched, I will hook you up.

6. kthnxshwn macrumors regular

Put Snow Leopard on the Mini and buy a SuperDrive?

7. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

thanks for the replies, buying the 1TB SSD today would be stupid. I hope this move from Apple help bring 1TB SSD prices down. If I could fit 2x SSDs in my current MacMini, I would defenetly put 2x 480GB, but I like having a internal optical drive.

Regarding Snow Leopard, I always heard it was impossible to install it on new Macs because of drivers. Anyway, I would probably modifiy Mountain Lion to make it look more like Snow Leopard, by installing TotalSpaces and other apps.