1TB Startup disk in non-isight G5 iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FunkEye, Apr 27, 2009.

1. FunkEye macrumors newbie

I have a G5 iMac (non-iSight) that I'm turning into a little media server just to stream stuff to my Xbox. It had an 80 gig HD in it, which just wasn't enough, so I stuck a 1TB Hitachi DeskStar in there. Booted onto my Tiger disk (leopard disk wouldn't boot, which is weird, but a different thread for later), and got to the installation location screen. Where then it didn't show up. I realized that the disk wasn't initialized, but didn't realize that there was a disk utility built into the install disk, so I booted into target mode, and formatted the HD (Mac OS extended, journaled) through my MacBook.

Boot back into the Install disk, and my drive pops up, but now it says that I can't install to that disk, and that it can't be used at my startup drive. Is there something I'm missing here?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What partition type did you use when intialising it in target disk mode? Your MacBook will have defaulted to GUID which cannot be used as a startup disk on a PPC machine...

3. FunkEye thread starter macrumors newbie

On initialization? I don't remember seeing any options. I formatted it as a Mac OS Extended (journaled) disk. Is there anything I can do to re-initialize it if that's the problem?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Follow the Resolution in this kb article. Note you don't want a GUID partition table!

Or use the Disk Utility on the install DVD running on the G5: this should not create a GUID partition table...

5. FunkEye thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I will try this once I get home today. I actually looked for the partition tab before, but I think I made a dumb mistake and tried looking for it while having the volume selected as opposed to the disc itself.

Thanks for the help.