Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chadmesse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
Currently FW 7.4.2 is installed on the Time Capsule I just bought a few days ago as a refurbed unit from Apple. I know there are guest network features that other people have posted about, but it is not an option on mine. Is there a newer FW I can install or is it just not an option for mine?

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I'm thinking about getting a time capsule when I get my MBP, anyway I just wanted to ask one question.

Can I use it like an ordinary external hard drive?, I.E. put all my music etc on my time capsule and have non of it on my MBP, or will it deleate all my info on my time capsule?

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
If it is not a simultaneous dual-band Time Capsule, it will not create a guest network. It requires the newest hardware, and thus cannot be added via a firmware update. Also, if it is being used as anything other than the primary router, the guest network feature will not work. If it is a simultaneous dual-band version and set up as primary router, you may need to upgrade your AirPort Utility. Try installing it from the disc provided. Also, this page may help in locating the guest network setup page in AirPort Utility.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1938190

Edit: bigchrisfgb, may I suggest either posting in a thread that is more relevant to your question or searching in MRoogle? But to answer your question, yes it can be used as a network attached hard drive. Beware however that anything stored on it will not be backed up via Time Machine, it cannot be partitioned (easily), and Time Machine will back up to it until it is full. You may run out of room to store files. I would suggest purchasing a USB HDD, connecting it to the TC's USB port, and using that for external file storage and the TC's internal for TM backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.