1TB upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Demonknightz, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Demonknightz, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

Demonknightz macrumors newbie

First post here and first attempt at a MacBook upgrade, so I was hoping I could get some advice.

So I agreed to do a bit of work for a friend, but I'm usually a windows guy, so the things I'm encountering are new to me.

It started off with my friend's Macbook not starting up, so I chucked in the Mac OS X disc to attempt repairing the OS. It didn't work due to the HDD being on it's last legs. I managed a backup of most of the important stuff, then tried reformatting the HDD, but didn't have any luck. In the end I decided just to grab them a new HDD. After replacing the old one, I thought it would be easy to just install OS X and be done with things, but i'm now have trouble with that too.

It's a 1 TB HGST 7200rpm beauty that I picked up at wholesale, so I was pretty pleased with myself, but now i'm starting to wonder if I made a bad choice.
    When I put in the Mac OS X disc the HDD doesn't show up, so I thought I'd just reformat it to the extended (journaled) type, but when I try to do that I get an "Input Output Error". Plus I also noticed that it shows up as 7.3 TB?

So I'm officially lost. Does anyone have thoughts on the matter? I'd really appreciate some advice.

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

What version of OS X are you trying to install and on what model year of macbook? Another thing I could think of is if the hard drive cable is going bad. If you have a SATA dock I'd plug the HD in to check to see how it reads there.

3. Demonknightz thread starter macrumors newbie

It's Mac OS X 10.4.6 (812025). The installer version is 2.1.5.
    As for the model, I think it's the late 2006, MacBook1,1, 1.83 GHz Core Duo (T2400), with the ram upgraded to 2GB.

That's a good idea. I don't have a dock, but i've got an old desktop lying around with a few spare sata cables, so I'll try plugging it in there.

4. Demonknightz, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

Demonknightz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I plugged the HDD into my desktop. Initialized it, and gave it a single partition using the exFAT format.
    That all worked correctly so I put it back in the Mac, but it's still not showing up in the installation. So I looked in the disc utility again and thought i'd erase it for good measure, but i'm still getting the "input/output error" too.

Any other ideas? Or is it really starting to look like a SATA cable is dodgy?

Edit:
    So I realised that was the wrong format for the Mac, so I plugged it back into my desktop and used the command prompts to run the diskpart.exe so that I could format the HDD to HFS+. Unfortunately that still hasn't got it to show up in the installation and now the disk utility is just crashing whenever I try repair/erase or even just from clicking on the partition tab...
    I'm running out of options again here. Does anyone have any suggestions?

5. Demonknightz thread starter macrumors newbie

One thought that keeps coming to mind is that the upgrade that i'm attempting to install just isn't supported by the original MacBook, so i'll lay down the stats and hopefully you guys can let me know if it would be supported or not.

Travelstar 7K1000

Capacity: 1TB (HTS721010A9E630)

Interface: SATA 6Gb/s

Sector size (variable, Bytes/sector) 512e

Performance:
    32MB data buffer
    7,200 RPM
    Latency Average: 4.2ms
    Media transfer rate (Mbits/sec, max): 1284
    Seek time: Average (typical)ms(read): 12
    Seek time: Track to track (typical)ms(read): 1
    Seek time: Full Stroke (typical)ms(read): 20